+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speakers suited to “free space”?

I'm steve.

Default Speakers suited to “free space”?

[QUOTE=Mr Neds;1131537]Hi Steve. My situation is more like your living room. When my daughter had her stuff piled up between the speakers to go back to Uni, it made a small wall, which seemed to boost the imaging and presence.

I see what you mean, you have a great deal of space behind the speakers. You say you have a sub but you get boom, if you experiment with filter frequencies and level and perhaps try moving the sub around and trying it in different locations you should be able to get a decent balance. The other thing is doing it that way you aren’t spending anymore money.
    This is what my living room setup looks like, the speakers are in the most convenient place which also happens to give the best sound balance with the Concept 40s, I previously had the QA 3050s in the same place but with their larger bass drivers the bass level was just a little too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 19-10-2019 at 11:10.

I'm Steve.

+1 for the sub positioning. I would say the bass would be cleaner and leaner if placed along a wall rather than in or near a corner. Also a solid slab of something underneath may help if you're on a suspended floor.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm steve.

Default Speakers suited to “free space”?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    +1 for the sub positioning. I would say the bass would be cleaner and leaner if placed along a wall rather than in or near a corner. Also a solid slab of something underneath may help if you're on a suspended floor.
    I’m in full agreement about placing a down facing sub on a solid base, I used to have a BK Gemini 2, when I changed from having it on carpet to supporting it on a granite chopping board the improvement in tightness and definition was very pronounced and definitely worth the fiver I paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Neds.

My sub is spiked to an old Mission Isoplat board, basically painted MDF, which is then on a block of closed cell foam, which I got from packaging at work, around 5cm thick

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’m in full agreement about placing a down facing sub on a solid base, I used to have a BK Gemini 2, when I changed from having it on carpet to supporting it on a granite chopping board the improvement in tightness and definition was very pronounced and definitely worth the fiver I paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve, I think it was you that originally recommended the granite slab, and while I'll happily pass on that recommendation, I still haven't got round to getting one for my sub!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12