+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Entertainment Center

Default My Entertainment Center

Hi folks. I've been a member of the forum for 1 1/2 years now, so think it's about time to post up some photos.

As you can see, space is limited in Tokyo unless you have deep pockets, so I have to cram all of my stuff into a very tight area. Setup, etc is far from ideal, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. My goal is to buy cost-effective (cheap) gear and try to bring them up to the next level via DIY. I never would have guessed how addictive that could be.

So this is what I'm doing when I'm not trolling the forum.
    As you can see I like games too.

From the side

The baby KEFs, the IQ5. Out of all of the fooling around I've done lately, replacing the electrolytics for films in the crossover was one of the most shocking revelations for me so far. I also added Enacoms connected directly to the HF input of the crossover. I know a lot of people don't like those, but I love em!

This is my main playback, the Denon DCD-755AE, used as a transport only. I had to take the feet off because it would block part of the TV screen with the cable box on top. Like I said, space is tight! It's sitting on these little sorbothane pads now. Better than nothing I guess.
    I've added a ton of capacitance, filters and such to try to make it play nicer. Next for this is maybe better regs. It's getting pretty deep and black though...

My PS Audio Digital Link III. A conservative sounding DAC, but it's grown on me. I also have the digital out of my TV connected to this, which in turn is fed by the Xbox, PS3, and cable box via HDMI. Lastly, I have my laptop connected via a 5m USB cable so I can use Winamp/Shoutcast Radio. I plan to try an Audiocom clock in this one.

And the soul of my system, my TRI-Corp TRV-35SE. At the moment it has V-Cap teflons in the pre and Dynamicaps in the power. I'm thinking about changing out the Dynamicaps for something a little more sublime, like Jupiter Beeswax but haven't made up my mind yet. It's gotten a slight bit harder than what I wanted.

With the cover off so you can see the glowy things.
    I have several garden variety new production tubes. I don't buy the vintage ones. In there at this time is new Mullard 12AX7, Luxman/NEC 12AU7, and 6CA7EH but these change from time to time.

James

Denon DCD-755AE (Power supply mods, used as a transport)
    PS Audio Digital Link III (Power supply mods, Audiocom Superclock 4)
    Tricorp TRV-35SE (V-Cap Teflon and Wima MKP10 caps)
    KEF IQ5 (Bennic XPP caps and Jantzen MOX resistors)
    Yamaha YST-SW225 subwoofer
    Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

I'm Andy.

Very nice!!!!! Lovely glowing yummy.

Even though you have very little space - get the speakers off the Ikea TV stand and on to the floor!!!!!!! I really reccon you could do that without affecting things much space wise.

Butuz
    Quad 99 CDP-2 >> Eastern Electric Minimax Pre>> XTZ Desire AP-100 >> PMC GB1i

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Very nice!!!!! Lovely glowing yummy.

Even though you have very little space - get the speakers off the Ikea TV stand and on to the floor!!!!!!! I really reccon you could do that without affecting things much space wise.

Butuz
    Thanks Butuz.

Yes! That is my main gripe with the setup right now. If I could put the speakers on the floor not only would the sound improve but then I could move the amp and DAC up top and put the Xbox and PS3 in the hole. But just to the right of the sub is our little dining table. If I shifted everything over then there wouldn't be enough room to pull the chairs out to sit down!
    Space is tight!

What I really need is a stand that is taller and narrower with like 3 shelves to spread out my gear on. But I've not been able to find anything suitable so far.
    James

Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Looks great..

The IQ5 were good as i remember, but I think this series of Q's had the tweeter set a good 3db too high in level. Changing the caps will definitely have improved the quality, but watch just how much tweeter you've got
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Default My Entertainment Center

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Looks great..

The IQ5 were good as i remember, but I think this series of Q's had the tweeter set a good 3db too high in level. Changing the caps will definitely have improved the quality, but watch just how much tweeter you've got
    Thanks.
    I know what you mean about the tweeters. After the caps change I arbitrarily went up .7 ohm total on the HF shunts and it seemed to smooth that strident flavor out. Maybe a bit warmer compared to what they were before but much clearer and detailed sounding and not lacking treble. I like them better like that. Still playing around and experimenting with them though.
    James

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The previous "Q's" could sound a little safe and "sludgey" if you know what I mean, and I think the IQ models were a serious attempt to liven them up and make them more competitive with the B&W 6 series of the times, which had a severely tinselly tweble. The bass and mid of the IQ's was definitely better and if you can keep the treble lively, clearer yet not too pungent, you'll have a fine inexpensive speaker there I reckon. That curvey cabinet really helps here I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Robert.

James,you have a nice system.I like it.
    And you will be even more pleased if you put a speaker on the floor.I understand your trouble with space (I heard some information about 100 000 US dollars just for parking space ???),but if I were at your place, I would get rid of subwoofer insted of good speaker position.Quite a lot of bass from them, especially in a small room.
    Made a few shelf for all of your Cd's and DVD's above TV set.It's not a lot of money and should not be a problem to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Looks great..

Agree with you DSJR.Last year I tested IQ5 and CA 540 int amp in my room.Very solid combination, but something I was very annoyed.Something like metal overtones,or too bright sound.And no silver cable anywhere.After changing of int amp for Primaluna Dialog Two things were much better,but still too bright for my taste.The only reasonable answer is tweeter.
    Another thing.
    Speakers do not have a lot of weight,and do not have space for filling (sand...).
    At louder listening micro-movements are audible in spite of spikes (especially on a smooth surface).Should be something to do about that.
    Regards,
    Speakers: WLM Diva Monitor
    CD: Marantz SA8003
    Tuner: Sansui TU-9900,TU-919...
    Amplifier: Almarro A318B,Sansui AU-X1111 MOS VINTAGE,Sansui AU-11000A,...
    Receiver: Sansui G-22000,Sansui G-7000,Sony STR-V7...

I'm Steve.

Very nice looking set up. I would have all that software on a NAS though if you need the space.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Very nice looking set up. I would have all that software on a NAS though if you need the space.
    Yep, I already have all that and more on flac and mp3 and I can stream it from the the PC, PS3, or Xbox but I still like the CD player. There's something nice about walking up and picking out a disc. I guess I'm just being nostalgic and impractical though.

So instead of getting rid of the CD tower or the sub, I want to get rid of the long and low Ikea stand. It is actually much cheaper than anything that's sitting on it. If it was at least 40cm shorter (it's 150) I could sit them on the floor no probs. Stuff I've found so far has had something I didn't like about it.

Maybe something a little like this, but 110cm long and without the open back (I have toooo many messy wires going on) and all wood.
    http://www.baysidefurnishings.com/pr.../dl3in1dw.html
    I need to intensify my search.
    James

I'm Robert.

That Delani stand look cool,and open the place for speakers
    And central part will hide all the cables that you care.
    Regards,
    Speakers: WLM Diva Monitor
    CD: Marantz SA8003
    Tuner: Sansui TU-9900,TU-919...
    Amplifier: Almarro A318B,Sansui AU-X1111 MOS VINTAGE,Sansui AU-11000A,...
    Receiver: Sansui G-22000,Sansui G-7000,Sony STR-V7...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast