+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage turntables: Sony TTS3000 and Garrard Zero 100

I'm Peter.

Default Vintage turntables: Sony TTS3000 and Garrard Zero 100

I am about to embark on a turntable journey that will be interesting and daunting. I already have a Thorens Td 147 Jubilee with a Thorens TP16 (Schopper TP63 arm wand). Despite this I am really tempted to buy both a Sony TTS3000 and a Garrard Zero 100. I intend to use an SME 3009R on the Sony TTS3000. I wonder which of the 3 I will want to hold on to after I have given the Sony and the Garrard some TLC?
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    I am about to embark on a turntable journey that will be interesting and daunting. I already have a Thorens Td 147 Jubilee with a Thorens TP16 (Schopper TP63 arm wand). Despite this I am really tempted to buy both a Sony TTS3000 and a Garrard Zero 100. I intend to use an SME 3009R on the Sony TTS3000. I wonder which of the 3 I will want to hold on to after I have given the Sony and the Garrard some TLC?
    If it were me I wouldn't even consider the Zero 100. Good though it is, IMO it won't be as good (or as versatile) as the Sony + SME combination.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Agreed. I wouldn't bother with the Zero 100, clunky and rough when new, can't be any better after all these years.

I'm Adam.

The Garrard Zero 100 is a fine deck - better than most people give it credit for. Find a good one with decent arm bearings (which can be the tricky bit!) and they can perform very well.

That said, the Sony should still wipe the floor with it...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Peter.

There is a series of 7 videos about cleaning and setting up a Garrard Zero 100 on Youtube. Hence my interest in that turntable.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Peter.

But as always I went in another direction as I just picked up a very clean Empire 698 in full working condition. That ends my turntable journey.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    But as always I went in another direction as I just picked up a very clean Empire 698 in full working condition. That ends my turntable journey.

Nice!

A considerable improvement on the Garrard Zero 100.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread