+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Phonocut

I'm Paul.

I would not dismiss it as most people thought Impossible Project would never remake Polaroid film and they did it, plus the market is not over 40's or 50's audiophiles who are dead to them....

Record shops like Rough Trade is full of young record buyers (hipsters included) who play their music with no interest to the dodo bird high end market anyway....
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm Neil.

Demo of the device here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olg1Wn4XE1M&t=635s 8 mins in or so.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adam.

Now the excitement has levelled off a bit, I’d like to know more about the situation with regard to consumables on the unit.

Some on here may know of the Vestax VRX-2000 vinyl cutter and I spent many years wanting one of these (I still do, if I’m honest!). It was around £2000 new IIRC and good ones can still command £1100-£1300.

However, the record blanks were around £12 each and the cutting head needs replacing after every 30 hours of use and these are around £300 each. I believe you can still buy them even though Vestax are no more but if you really get into it, then it could turn out to be quite a pricey pastime.

I’ll be intrigued to know how the newcomer fares with respect to this.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Thanks Neil, looks a bit more than a load of old rubbish lol.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Now the excitement has levelled off a bit, I’d like to know more about the situation with regard to consumables on the unit.

Some on here may know of the Vestax VRX-2000 vinyl cutter and I spent many years wanting one of these (I still do, if I’m honest!). It was around £2000 new IIRC and good ones can still command £1100-£1300.

However, the record blanks were around £12 each and the cutting head needs replacing after every 30 hours of use and these are around £300 each. I believe you can still buy them even though Vestax are no more but if you really get into it, then it could turn out to be quite a pricey pastime.

I’ll be intrigued to know how the newcomer fares with respect to this.
    Adam,

Phonocut quote USD10 per blank disc with discounts for volume and 100 hour head cutter life according the FAQs

https://phonocut.com/#faq

Charlie
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Grant.

sure it would be fun.. looks like only 45's at moment due to size of it tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Adam,

Phonocut quote USD10 per blank disc with discounts for volume and 100 hour head cutter life according the FAQs

https://phonocut.com/#faq

Charlie
    Ah, OK, Thanks. No mention of cutting stylus price, though!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    sure it would be fun.. looks like only 45's at moment due to size of it tho.
    Will do up to 10” discs at the moment AFAIK.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12