+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Storing and playing music files

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Another vote for the Macmini, I’ve been using one as my digital music source for over 10 years now, in fact I’m on my second one now, my first I couldn’t update past OS Snow Leopard so I bought a 2015 series one used off ebay about 3 years ago for £300. All my music collection is stored in itunes or as it’s now called in the new OS Catalina, “Music”.
    I also stream Spotify and Amazon Music with it. A recent upgrade to a Solid State Drive (SSD) has also made it a very slick machine speed wise even with a relatively slow processor and only 4GB of RAM. Note the very latest Macs no longer have optical outputs so digital has to be via USB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Another vote for the Mac mini.. with Audirvana.
    Mine uses the NAS as it’s library (and lately Tidal) and then plays to a number of raspberry pi set ups by UPNP.

It was a massive relief when Audirvava introduced the upnp playback.
    I leave the Mac mini running all the time and can control the outputs to the pi’s using the audirvava remote app.

A bit of a learning curve, but easy enough to sort.

I'm Paul.

I just wanted to add - what seems complicated is indeed simple to start with, but then, over the years, you tweak things, and that's what makes it appear complicated. Here's what I did:

Starting from an analog system with just an old-fashioned cd player added: (I already had a nas, but was not using it for music)

step 1: I added a squeezebox touch. - audio out from its internal dac to my pre-amp. Nothing else, and this was an eye-opener - Now I could play my CDs (once copied to the nas, running LMS) controlled by the touch screen on the squeezebox. The convenience was great, and I convinced myself it sounded better than the CD player. And now had access to internet streaming/internet radio.

step 2: installed a squeezebox app on to my phone and tablet - now I didn't even have to get up to change the music.

step 3: added an external dac between squeezebox and pre-amp. (a beresford dac) - sound greatly improved

step 4: replaced squeezebox touch by raspberry pi/hifiberry digi+ - improved sound, and now on supported hardware (logitech by this time had dropped squeezebox support, but squeezebox software is open source, so no worries there)

step 5.... more tweaks

If I were starting from zero, I might do it differently (maybe an rpi+dac+attached usb disk running picoreplayer with LMS - single box straight into pre-amp). But my point is: Each step was simple. It only sounds complicated if you dont know how and why the system got to be they way it is today.
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

I'm Grant.

Another point with a rpi is you can add a cd ripper for little money and play cds on it too.
    RPI software is a lot easier now, although it does help if someone can walk u through it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Been using a Raspberry Pi for the last few years and been rock solid, the people who tend to report issues with them tend to be those that try and tweak either the software or the device itself.

My Pi has been far more stable and useable than the £480 SoTM Streamer I owned at the same time.

However if the op isn't up to setting up a Pi ( which takes 10 minutes ) then the Bluesound Node 2i is his best bet.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Been using a Raspberry Pi for the last few years and been rock solid, the people who tend to report issues with them tend to be those that try and tweak either the software or the device itself.

My Pi has been far more stable and useable than the £480 SoTM Streamer I owned at the same time.

However if the op isn't up to setting up a Pi ( which takes 10 minutes ) then the Bluesound Node 2i is his best bet.
    Got to say, the Pi has been revalotory. Very stable and so easy to use, once you know how.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345