+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing and playing music files

I'm John.

Default Storing and playing music files

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for storing and playing music files without having to use a pc. I have a growing collection of hi-res music downloads stored on a laptop and played through a dac but find having to log-on a deterrent to listening. I haven't been able find any hi fi equipment which I could store and play digital files from, except one made by a company called Brennan. This machine doesn't play hi-res files and has an in-built amp, which I don't need. The closest I've come to finding what I want seem to be expensive streamers, and I don't stream music. Downloading (mainly from 7Digital) to pc is fine. I'd then like to be able to transfer files to a dedicated piece of hi fi that would store and feed my dac with music. Suggestions welcome, including corrective ones if I'm asking for the impossible.

John
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Geoff.

Get a NAS drive and connect it to your router. Once you have copied your music files onto the NAS drive you can access the files from any music device connected to your home network.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Cloud...s%2C145&sr=8-3

I'm Grant.

Innuos zen make these among other companies. Look them up on Web there's plenty info. You get them with different size hdds and you can add one externally too I think. A few guys have them.
    That's one option
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Hi John
    Been down the same route myself.
    The real question is how deep are your pockets?!
    The Zen Mini has built in hard drive, will stream to your dac and can rip cds also.
    With their software it’s simple enough to add files to the internal drive.
    All controlled by your pc or a phone.
    That’ll be £900 please.

Alternatively you could go down the NAS (Network Attached Storage).
    QNAP, Synology, WD all do versions. Get a 2 drive one for automatic back up from one drive to the other.
    However then you will need a streamer to access this to play into you DAC.
    I’ve had Linn streamers to play files from my QNAP twin drive.
    Horribly expensive when a raspberry pi is now capable of equivalent sound quality.

It’s a wormhole you a peeping over the edge at!!

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for storing and playing music files without having to use a pc. I have a growing collection of hi-res music downloads stored on a laptop and played through a dac but find having to log-on a deterrent to listening. I haven't been able find any hi fi equipment which I could store and play digital files from, except one made by a company called Brennan. This machine doesn't play hi-res files and has an in-built amp, which I don't need. The closest I've come to finding what I want seem to be expensive streamers, and I don't stream music. Downloading (mainly from 7Digital) to pc is fine. I'd then like to be able to transfer files to a dedicated piece of hi fi that would store and feed my dac with music. Suggestions welcome, including corrective ones if I'm asking for the impossible.

John

I'm Chris.

one of these might do,
    paste in this description in a Ebay page Touch Screen MP3 Player 8GB AUPHIL S5 APE/FLAC/WAV Lossless Music Player + FM +

partner it with a few accessories such as a stereo 3.5 jack to RCA cable , a 64GB TF Card, and a 3.5mm jack to headphone cable
    I should have one arriving this week, and can let you know how it goes.

I'm John.

Thanks Chris. Sounds a bit fiddly but I'd be interested in how you get on. I would prefer to play to the dac using usb as this sounds much better than a wired connection.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp

I'm John.

£900 is a bit beyond what I want to spend Steve, which is in the £300/400 range. Also, my music is downstairs and the router upstairs, so don't know how that would work?

I'm Andrew.

There are quite a few ways to solve your problem and I am sure you will be given loads of options. My answer would be to get a second hand ( you can’t buy them new anymore) Squeezebox Touch to plug into your DAC with a NAS or other storage device. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...h-Media-Server

I'm Steve.

Yeah...£900 is beyond what I would want to spend also.
    However £3-400 would easily get you a dual drive NAS.
    This could then sit next to your router (as mine does).
    Then a Squeezebox could stream from that anywhere in the house.
    Or (as a number of people on this forum do), you use a raspberry Pi and a Pi Digi+ to stream into your DAC drawing music from your NAS.

Apologies..just read through and realised that's exactly what Geoff (Sherwood)said before!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    £900 is a bit beyond what I want to spend Steve, which is in the £300/400 range. Also, my music is downstairs and the router upstairs, so don't know how that would work?

I'm Adrian.

Buy one of these and move copy you iTunes library and/music onto it, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LS2...Buffalo&sr=8-2

Get a raspberry pi with a dac, in box, load onto it Volumio then you can configure it to see your file on the NAS drive and stream music using Tidal, qobuz, or highresaudio

You plug the Dac using rca leads to your amplifier. Have a look at https://volumio.org/product-category/complete-system/

It sounds technical but it’s not hard to do and there are loads of people on here that can help you.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast