+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing and playing music files

I'm Dennis.

This thread reminds me of just why I am in a dither about the whole business of streaming and storing.

I would pay good money to someone who could suggest a solution to fulfil my needs. and I wouldn't mind spending twice the above if it was solid, simple, flexible, reliable, and with a good interface.

All I have seen for a couple of years is people buying stuff and not happy, trying to get it to work, buying something else to make it work, and seemingly delighted to have got something to work at least fulfilling their wants a bit.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    All I have seen for a couple of years is people buying stuff and not happy
    That's coz those of us what have it working just fine thank you aren't posting all over the forums.
    Squeezebox user since 2008, and very little going wrong to report.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for storing and playing music files without having to use a pc. I have a growing collection of hi-res music downloads stored on a laptop and played through a dac but find having to log-on a deterrent to listening.
    If all you want is to play stored files through your DAC I don't really understand what you have to 'log on' for

Maybe I'm missing your point ... but perhaps your solution is simply a decent second hand desktop/laptop that you only use for playing stored music (ie not connected to the web).

Just switch it on and play tracks - simples .....

I'm inactive.

One of these would do the job just fine - just needs a cheap monitor and a 3.5mm optical or USB cable to your DAC and a copy of Audirvana installed - job done:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APPLE-MAC...kAAOSwm2Nc~9J6

I have one set up in the shed - plays music just fine

A 500GB HDD stores a helluvalot of music
    Last edited by mikmas; 15-10-2019 at 08:48. Reason: added USB option

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Buy one of these and move copy you iTunes library and/music onto it, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LS2...Buffalo&sr=8-2

Get a raspberry pi with a dac, in box, load onto it Volumio then you can configure it to see your file on the NAS drive and stream music using Tidal, qobuz, or highresaudio

You plug the Dac using rca leads to your amplifier. Have a look at https://volumio.org/product-category/complete-system/

It sounds technical but it’s not hard to do and there are loads of people on here that can help you.
    This is all you need for an easy setup, fit and forget...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Buy one of these and move copy you iTunes library and/music onto it, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LS2...Buffalo&sr=8-2

Get a raspberry pi with a dac, in box, load onto it Volumio then you can configure it to see your file on the NAS drive and stream music using Tidal, qobuz, or highresaudio

You plug the Dac using rca leads to your amplifier. Have a look at https://volumio.org/product-category/complete-system/

It sounds technical but it’s not hard to do and there are loads of people on here that can help you.
    I’m sure I’m missing something, but with this set up how do you see and choose music? Do you need a separate screen?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I’m sure I’m missing something, but with this set up how do you see and choose music? Do you need a separate screen?
    a phone or tablet will do
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a phone or tablet will do
    Morning Grant. Presumably with software/ an app on the phone or tablet?

I'm Martin.

At the end of the day these are the "facts":

1. You need to store the files somewhere - NAS, fancy audio device or your laptop
    2. You need something to play the files - Squeezebox, RPI, fancy audio device or your laptop
    3. You need something to control the play back, usually a phone, tablet or your laptop

"Logging on" to your laptop seems to me the least hassle road to take unless I'm missing something obvious....

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Morning Grant. Presumably with software/ an app on the phone or tablet?
    A browser window will do with likes of volumio etc. Just enter volumio ip address and it should pop up in all its glory
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast