+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 401

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    Speed is controlled in AC motors by frequency, in the UK thats pretty accurate. Voltage does alter the speed of Garrard's but so does temperature/state of the bearing ect.

The more advanced power supplies will alter both voltage and frequency to hit a sweet spot between PRAT and drive and vibration reduction. Nothing's ever simple, although if you're getting speed variation beyond the first 30 mins somethings not right...
    Yes, but RF on the mains also affects how smoothly the motor runs, Nick’s supply regenerates to provide a clean wine wave and very accurate constant voltage and frequency figures and it’s this that results in better SQ. Also allows for + or - 3Hz for very accurate speed control.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm mark.

Just had a look at the LDA website. The speed change at the turn of a knobs interesting, that'll alter frequency to the motor.
    Do you know what the voltage output is?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes very handy with a Lenco, no more fiddling with the speed lever.

It outputs 230v I think.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Oops, think it’s actually 220v.

Review here-

https://theaudiophileman.com/quartz-...eid=a28f4b4106

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

Somehow, when I see the lovely 401 with anything other than a 12" SME, it simply doesn't look right.. My student days 91970 -.73) started with that combo with the ubiquitous V15. No plinth; just a cut out thick shelf/board supported on the wall of my rented room. Hazy days !

I'm Graham.

I have the earlier V1 LDA PSU and it outputs 230v. I am sure Nick has a reason for changing to 220v so I would give him a call and have a chat.

Unfortunately, IMO, the generic casework on the V2 looks a lot cheaper and loses the lovely integral heatsinks of the V1 in favour of a basic heatsink at the rear.

Here is a review and some pics of the V1

http://the-ear.net/how-to/upgrade-garrard-turntable

I'm mark.

I'm running my (grease)301 off variac, @ 215v I'm using just a touch of brake. I loose a bit of PRAT/drive but win grace and precision.

The LDA's on my list

I'm Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Unfortunately, IMO, the generic casework on the V2 looks a lot cheaper and loses the lovely integral heatsinks of the V1 in favour of a basic heatsink at the rear.
    I think this is why I assumed the V2 was the V1 - the casework looks more like a prototype than the previous version. Either way, it's next on the list.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    I have the earlier V1 LDA PSU and it outputs 230v. I am sure Nick has a reason for changing to 220v so I would give him a call and have a chat.

Here is a review and some pics of the V1

http://the-ear.net/how-to/upgrade-garrard-turntable
    Got in touch with him last night, voltages are 115 or 225, 60 or 50Hz. He can alter on request.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I'm running my (grease)301 off variac, @ 215v I'm using just a touch of brake. I loose a bit of PRAT/drive but win grace and precision.

The LDA's on my list
    That mirrors my findings when i had a Loricraft PSU with variable voltage. As i listen to a lot of rock and pop i favour timing and energy, so i always had the voltage at max,so this feature is not missed on the V1 LDA ��

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast