+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 401

I'm Graham.

hi Kim,

Here is my 401 with Arm Three V2 and recently fitted Tenuto mat on a Loricraft plinth.

I first heard the Arm Three and 401 combo on Doms amazing Snell A system at Scalford several years ago. I think one reason it works well is that the top end sparkle and energy of the Arm Three works compensates for the 401's slightly rolled off treble, a characteristic much reduced by the Tenuto.

I also think the non-rigid bearing (so-called captured unipivot) helps isolate the cart from the mechanical noise.

The OC-9 MLii shown has a similar treble to the PTG2 but is a little leaner which works well in my system which has bass aplenty.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Very nice indeed. I can highly recommend the LDA power supply, makes a large improvement to my ears.
    Agree, it is excellent. The 401 speed is voltage dependent so on 21st century mains the pitch instability is obvious and really handicaps the 401, so in my opinion, a PSU is essential on these early 401s.

I have owned a Power Inspired 1500AG, two Loricraft PSUs and now the LDA which is noticeably the best of them all.

I'm Kim.

That looks truly stunning Graham!

Looking forward to trying the Tenuto mat which I guess will add a couple of mm to VTA? I wanted to try an Achromat this afternoon, but it wouldn't fit within the lip on the platter.
    Garrard 401 / EAR / AURALiC / DAC? / Spendor
    Border Patrol / Naim / Harbeth

I'm Graham.

Hi Kim, thanks for the kind words, and it sounds just as good!

Yes, the tenuto will add to the height. I have a 3mm Tenuto mat which added a bit under 1.5mm and fits perfectly on the 401 platter. The latest 5mm Tenuto will increase that to an extra 3.5mm over the stock mat. But unlike many other lightweight mats, the Tenuto doesn't move or lift off with the record!

I did previously try some other mats but ended up going back to the quicker sounding stock mat. However the Tenuto has made a substantial improvement, more akin to upgrading to a much more expensive cart. Bass is tighter and deeper, treble more open and extended and a bigger soundstage with more detail and reduced hash.

But IMO, the first upgrade should be an external psu. The power inspired 1500 works very well and can be bought cheaply used.

I'm Martin.

Hi Kim Glad you have got it up and running. It looks great
    My Voyd is still a WIP.....must now get my finger out
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Agree, it is excellent. The 401 speed is voltage dependent so on 21st century mains the pitch instability is obvious and really handicaps the 401, so in my opinion, a PSU is essential on these early 401s.

I have owned a Power Inspired 1500AG, two Loricraft PSUs and now the LDA which is noticeably the best of them all.
    Yes agreed, however it’s more than than that- the pollution on our mains effects how the motor runs, which in turn effects the produced sound, the LDA eliminates that.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Kim.

Yes agreed, however it’s more than than that- the pollution on our mains effects how the motor runs, which in turn effects the produced sound, the LDA eliminates that.
    I'm definitely planning to buy the LDA power supply as I've heard so many good things about it. There seem to be two still available: one with a couple if knobs on the front and a newer version with just a rocker switch on the front - any thoughts about which version to aim for? Just might need to wait until funds allow.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    Hi Kim Glad you have got it up and running. It looks great
    My Voyd is still a WIP.....must now get my finger out
    At least the arm is pretty straightforward to set up Martin! Hope you're well.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The MK II is the one with the two knobs on the front, that’s the latest one.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm mark.

Speed is controlled in AC motors by frequency, in the UK thats pretty accurate. Voltage does alter the speed of Garrard's but so does temperature/state of the bearing ect.

The more advanced power supplies will alter both voltage and frequency to hit a sweet spot between PRAT and drive and vibration reduction. Nothing's ever simple, although if you're getting speed variation beyond the first 30 mins somethings not right...

I'm Kim.

The MK II is the one with the two knobs on the front, that’s the latest one.
    Ah, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast