+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Musical Fidelity Preamp 3B and P170 power amp designed by Tim de Paravicini.

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Musical Fidelity Preamp 3B and P170 power amp designed by Tim de Paravicini.

Got these a few weeks ago and they sound great but they don't fit in with my direction (valve or passive pre with class AB power).

I understand the power amp is "heavily biased into class A" like all of TdeP's designs for MF, but the heatsink on the back gives away that it's not class A all the way. It's a true dual mono design with two toroidal transformers and the big caps are placed horizontally to make it shorter in height.

It has a slight nick in the fascia below the power button. One plastic speaker output was broken off so I replaced them all with better new gold plated ones. Please note that I tightened these up in such a way that means it's hard to unscrew them to fit speaker wire directly. You'll probably need to hold the inside bit tight to do that, not an issue for me as I'm all bananas

The pre amp is apparently very well regarded and has a very good MM/MC phono stage and 2 outputs, one of which is buffered. Unfortunately the buffer output has a hum so I haven't tried it. I would assume the little buffer board inside needs a repair. According to reviews on the web (most of which are for the similar/same 3a model) the non-buffered output is more transparent anyway and the one to use so it's not really an issue unless you are using amp with very low output impedance (eg some class D amps, although most of these have buffers built in these days).

The power supply is separate on an external case as is usual with MF pres of this age. It has a European plug and a small chip as shown.

In the light of the above I'm happy to sell them as a pair for £295 collected from North London. I think this is a good price.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Some more pics...

I'm Lawrence.

Little bump

I'm Lawrence.

Bump
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 17-10-2019 at 16:16.

I'm Lawrence.

Now on eBay at £295.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 18-10-2019 at 11:02.

I'm Lawrence.

Now sold

+ Reply to Thread