+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For Sale: ATC SCA2 Preamp £2500 RRP £6750

I'm Nigel.

Default For Sale: ATC SCA2 Preamp £2500 RRP £6750

On the 'bay at £2750; open to sensible offers even on this lower forum price.

ATC's flagship pre-amplifier, an ultra low distortion design with very wide bandwidth designed to bring ATC's studio experience into the home. Handbuilt in the UK. Perfect front end to ATC's own active speakers (I have the fantastic SCM40A's) or to any serious power amp. So good it has stayed in the line-up since it was introduced in 1996: how many other hifi items can you name which have been in production for 23 years?!

This was one of the first produced. The main electrolytic capacitors were replaced in September so all should be good for another 20 years or more of listening pleasure.

Fully working, minor cosmetic marks. Difficult to avoid reflections of tablecloth, velux etc - have taken photos inside and outside. Excellent front and rear panels. Minor marks to side panels. Two scratched areas to top surface, not visible unless installed as the topmost unit in a system. You can tell it was designed for tough studio use.

Pre-amplifier only. No remote, no mains lead (though I can provide a lead if required).

Collection from near Melton Mowbray strongly preferred but will be well packed for free UK shipping if required. I travel regularly from here to Kendal so might be able to deliver to your door if you live in the diamond-shaped bit of England between these two: Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford etc.

2 balanced stereo inputs

1 balanced stereo output

6 phono stereo inputs

Input Sensitivity: 235mV Balanced, 115mV Unbalanced
    Input Impedance: 5k/10k ohms
    Frequency Response: DC – >500KHz
    THD: >114dB
    Dimensions (HxWxD): 100x440x360
    Weight (HxWxD): 9.5kg / 20.9lbs

Standard blurb

A key feature of the ATC SCA2 preamplifier is the total elimination of audio integrated circuits in the main signal path which is made possible through the introduction of no fewer than ten high performance discrete circuitry gain blocks. Furthermore, all amplifiers in the monitor chain are of similar type and built from discrete bipolar transistors and FETs. The input stage is a fully complimentary dual long tail pair arrangement which uses low-noise bipolar transistors with constant collector voltages provided by cascoded junction FETs. Output of the current mirrors is buffered by a pair of complimentary Sziklai Darlington transistors. To further minimize signal degradation, input circuitry including all sockets, selection relays and tape buffer is mounted directly onto a single PCB.

In essence, the gain block within the ATC SCA2 preamplifier is a high output, low distortion amplifier with a very wide bandwidth which is easy to use in conventional feedback configuration because it has only one stage of gain (in other words, there is only one possible source of roll-off and phase shift at high frequency.) The result is remarkable audiophile product which, in both laboratory and subjective listening tests, clearly redefines the state of the art.

Auditioning reveals an open, neutral, transparency the amplifier creating a solid soundstage which is both wide and deep. Voices are reproduced with uncanny realism being portrayed with natural warmth and articulation. Bass takes on a rich, superbly controlled solidity. Strings are reproduced with a fine degree of detail and texture, while brass is conveyed with attack and clarity. Percussion is handled with great speed and definition. As you'd expect from a design as highly specified as the ATC SCA2 preamplifier, dynamic range is outstanding.

The SCA2 offers eight audio inputs - all of which are electronically buffered and selected by precision gas-filled gold-plated relays

Clean stable power supplies result from local active decoupling of supply rails adjacent to each gain stage

The distinctive case of the SCA2 is constructed from aerospace grade peened stainless steel.

The 440mm wide front panel is edged with bead-blasted machined aluminium the fascia being finished in polished acrylic.

I'm Nigel.

SOLD subject to payment.

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashinthepan View Post
    SOLD subject to payment.
    NOT SOLD: Chinese buyer using UK address refuses to accept delivery there because "my friend isn't there right now so please can you ship direct to China for additional shipping fee?". No, Mr AN, I can't.

I'm Lawrence.

eBay? Sounds like a classic scam, non PayPal registered address so no protection for the seller.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Nigel.

Yes, Lawrence, it might well have been and I was definitely not going to find out.

Now SOLD via the 'bay to a lovely man from Worcestershire who is actually in Worcestershire!

+ Reply to Thread