+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS Audio PerfectWave Cd/Dvd Transport ?

montesquieu Guest

Default PS Audio PerfectWave Cd/Dvd Transport ?

Anyone heard one of these? More to the point anyone nearby got one they could bring round for a wee sesh?

I've had my current Audio Note CDT2/II transport for an incredible eight years now (!) and fancy putting it up against something different, change for change's sake and all that.

I'm curious about the buffering technology used by the Perfectwave, though TBH my experience with the Audio Note unit has been pretty much exemplary. It would be one in one out so I wouldn't be forking out for the PS Audio if in my system it didn't bring some sort of benefit.

Alternative of course is climbing the AN ladder ... possible of course.

I'm Chris.

I'm guessing you've read this? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/p...rfectwave.html
    I'm interested in the fact that quite a few folk now rely on iMac/hard-drive as a source, plus a good dac (as do I, using MHDT 'Havana' dac, sticking to KISS principles-which I think AN does as well?)
    I was sceptical, being 'brought up' on Analog, but my ears persuaded me.
    Will watch with interest.
    Chris.

I'm Gary.

As a PS Audio fanboy, can only say this will sound superb.
    These guys really know their stuff.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

montesquieu Guest

I'm actually doubtful that there's much difference between buffered data streams like this and what happens between a good quality transport and DAC, with (barring damaged disks) close to flawless reading, minimal error correction/interpolation and minimal jitter. Hence curiosity rather than being sold and running off and buying one. I want to hear it with my AN-based DAC first. I doubt I'd buy one on spec.

My issue with streaming or file-based output isn't with the sound quality, it's with the user experience which I find irritating.

I'm John.

I have a PS Audio 2nd Generation CDT and I assume DVD Player.
    I intend on taking it out this Winter to trial it against a Jay's Audio at a Dealers in Bury St Edmunds.
    I am not trying to better the PS Audio, I'm curious to compare the Jay's with it using my DAC, and then get the feel for the different arrangements that can be had.
    If you want to accompamy me, and bring your own CDT, you are more than welcome.
    I use my PS Audio > DAC connection with a Coax, the DAC can also use a USB, which I have yet to try.
    I am sure any other DAC's put to service on the day will have a further amount of hook up options.
    As for the PS Audio, I bought it from a individual who had invested vast amounts in a Digital >Amp >Speaker set up, he was a real rocker and hammered the volumes.
    He had another Band DVD Player that I can't recall the brand at the Moment, but I will post it later when I search it out. The vendor of the PS Audio claimed the two devices were extremely similar in SQ, so one was not required.
    I accepted his evaluation as accurate, and he treated the sale process with the utmost professionalism.
    The first time I heard a PS Audio CDT was at Brook Audio in Huddersfield, as the last audition on a very ejoyable day of the Yorkshire HiFi Club.
    The Day started with a £20000 Digital Vinyl replay presentation, and then ventured onto
    a more usual for Brookes Audio Vinyl Set Up so Probably about £7000.
    The main set on the on the Day was a variety of Phonostages > Soulution Pre >LDA 211> Maxonic Field Coils.
    After about 5-6 Hours of enjoying the Individuals offerings and getting close to being turfed out, My DAC was put on with the PS Audio, for me the love affair was immediate, I was done and felt that the combo was a match or bettered some of the offering on the day.
    From that moment on I searched out the PS Audio Perfect Wave CDT MKII.
    To Date I have been thoroughly impressed with the relaxed very engaging presentation.
    This is not a Rich delivery, it is all that CD can be, but there is a space in the air between the artists and support, that is noticable, it is this that is captivating.
    It is not in your face,biting, or fatigueing at any time.
    I am a vinyl individual through and through, and am only playing with the Digital World, to date with this CDT, I am happy to relax and forget other formats.
    For me it is not a competitor to Vinyl,meaning not Vinyl Like, but when doing a A/B comparison, if any track was extended beyond the demo track, as a listener I am more than happy with any format being played and soon forget the minor differences that are percieved when immediate comparisons are being made.
    This is not a review, but it does get a thumbs up when used in my set up.
    My Curiosity with the Digital world has now got me wondering what is the differences with my DAC and other noted CDT's

montesquieu Guest

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Audio Note CDT2/II is only a shade under £5k retail so not itself a budget option (indeed, neither is the rest of the system these days), and I'm using it with an Audio Note-based DAC so there are synergies to be had from this as a redbook combo.

I'm really trying to get a hearing of the PS Audio within my own system ... Unfortunately you are a 5h+ return trip from where I am, down off the M3, so I think the practicalities aren't quite there for a visit here with it. Much appreciated for sharing your perceptions though.

I'm julian.

First off, i have never heard a perfectwave cd player, only read a review or two, but i am on my third PS Audio DAC - now a directstream. I usually buy my kit second-hand, and have been waiting for a directstream cd transport to come up, but nothing for the last year or so. I recently spoke to the PS Audio importers, who advised that Oppo supplied parts for the directstream player, and as they no longer make those parts the directstream player is no longer available. A replacement is 'on the cards' but no real ETA.
    They did advise that the perfecwave transport was the best match for the directstream DAC due to the I2S connection between the two.
    I use a modified old Dennon dvd player, and don't think it lacks for much, so very curious about how the matching combo would sound.
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    First off, i have never heard a perfectwave cd player, only read a review or two, but i am on my third PS Audio DAC - now a directstream. I usually buy my kit second-hand, and have been waiting for a directstream cd transport to come up, but nothing for the last year or so. I recently spoke to the PS Audio importers, who advised that Oppo supplied parts for the directstream player, and as they no longer make those parts the directstream player is no longer available. A replacement is 'on the cards' but no real ETA.
    They did advise that the perfecwave transport was the best match for the directstream DAC due to the I2S connection between the two.
    I use a modified old Dennon dvd player, and don't think it lacks for much, so very curious about how the matching combo would sound.
    Another perspective?

As a Directstream dac owner m’self, I too looked at the Directstream transport.
    Was looking for my “last” disc spinner, and when I read that PSAudio (and even the Uber high ended) company MSB used the Oppo 203 drive and a lot of its gubbins, I got curious.
    Then I got busy.

With the thought to get as close to a Directstream transport as possible, I set about modding and improving my Oppo 203 player.
    This included fitting an i2s output, which directly connects to the Dacs i2s input.

Way better sounding than the stock Oppo, how close it gets to the PSAudio unit, who knows...and to me it doesn’t really matter.
    It functions exactly the same, plays all the same formats AND connects via i2s.
    Have a think about a modded Oppo if you can pick one up.

Any thoughts about tracking down a Directstream memory player soon vanished once I had the Oppo in play.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 12-10-2019 at 11:02.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Another perspective?

As a Directstream dac owner m’self, I too looked at the Directstream transport.
    Was looking for my “last” disc spinner, and when I read that PSAudio (and even the Uber high ended) company MSB used the Oppo 203 drive and a lot of its gubbins, I got curious.
    Then I got busy.

With the thought to get as close to a Directstream transport as possible, I set about modding and improving my Oppo 203 player.
    This included fitting an i2s output, which directly connects to the Dacs i2s input.

Way better sounding than the stock Oppo, how close it gets to the PSAudio unit, who knows...and to me it doesn’t really matter.
    It functions exactly the same, plays all the same formats AND connects via i2s.
    Have a think about a modded Oppo if you can pick one up.

Any thoughts about tracking down a Directstream memory player soon vanished once I had the Oppo in play.
    Hmm. That's certainly a thought. It does the buffering thing in the same way? Then for me the important element would be the quality of the AES/EBU or SPDIF outputs which are surely something that can be modified. I'll look into it.

EDIT: interestingly there's not a vast price difference between what a PS Audio transport can be got for, and the Oppo.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 12-10-2019 at 11:16.

I'm Gary.

Re: price difference, that’s an interesting one.
    Depends I s’pose if you want a cd/ sacd spinner only, or Blu-ray player, Roon endpoint as well as the disc playback stuff.

Know Oppo’s are not made any more, were the prices you seen for them for stock units?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast