+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Philadephia Met Riccardo Muti Mussorsky Quiz

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I don't have that recording but I do have a wondering 1960s recording of the Vegh Quartet playing Beethoven, and you can clearly hear the buses pulling away from the bus stop or traffic lights outside the studio (which may well have been Abbey Road).
    A bit like the infamous Kingsway Hall 'rumble' due to the Picadilly Line trains running underneath. All beautifully captured by Decca.

That is often a problem of 'live' recordings made in concert halls, churches etc. There are unwanted contributions from air conditioning; heating systems; traffic outside the venue, and sometimes from the poor acoustics of the venue itself, especially if care has not been taken with the choice and positioning of the microphones.

BTW Tom, which Vegh Quartet Beethoven recording do you have? I have a boxed set; but I'm not at home at the moment to check the recording label
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I don't have that recording but I do have a wondering 1960s recording of the Vegh Quartet playing Beethoven, and you can clearly hear the buses pulling away from the bus stop or traffic lights outside the studio (which may well have been Abbey Road).
    That's getting closer. but the frequency and placement in the orchestral sound- is even lower still. I was actually quite surprised when I heard it.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A bit like the infamous Kingsway Hall 'rumble' due to the Picadilly Line trains running underneath. All beautifully captured by Decca.

That is often a problem of 'live' recordings made in concert halls, churches etc. There are unwanted contributions from air conditioning; heating systems; traffic outside the venue, and sometimes from the poor acoustics of the venue itself, especially if care has not been taken with the choice and positioning of the microphones.

BTW Tom, which Vegh Quartet Beethoven recording do you have? I have a boxed set; but I'm not at home at the moment to check the recording label
    Barry's answer is just too close, so well done your the winner, it is indeed a subway train heard , the line running adjacent to the building,
    called the PA611. https://moovitapp.com/philadelphia_p...poiType=ehsite

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Barry's answer is just too close, so well done your the winner, it is indeed a subway train heard , the line running adjacent to the building,
    This is the late 60s /early 70s set in stereo (as opposed to the 1952 mono cycle), I have the whole set on CD (released on Naive and quite hard to track down), also the original LP version on Valois and a German release on Telefunken. The bus is clearly heard in some of the slow bits of quartet no10 op 74, first movement.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Oh - I wasn't expecting that! Have I won a prize?
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Hi Barry
    Why not, send me a PM

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12