+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Electric Minimax DAC

I'm Ian.

Default Eastern Electric Minimax DAC

For sale my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC with upgraded Burson V5 opamps. There are numerous reviews on line which will give you more technical information but basically this has a Sabre ES9018 DAC chip and switchable valve (12au7) or transistor output stage so you can tube roll if that is your bag.
    There is quite a bit out there on the forums about opamp rolling for this DAC which inspired me to have a go with the Bursons. A very easy process, lift out the old op amps and insert the new. In my opinion the opamp upgrade produced a considerable lift in performance.
    The Minimax also has an analogue volume control so can act as a pre-amp in a digital only system. It's compact size would make it ideal for a second system but it is more than good enough for main system duties. Hopefully you can see from the photos that it is in excellent condition.
    Comes with original packing but no manual - there's one online.
    I paid £375 for the DAC and another £100 for the opamps so I'm offering it here for £415 including postage to mainland UK or £400 collected.
    Thanks for looking.

Bigman80 Guest

Those Burson V5s are superb Opamps. I can totally vouch for their ability to make significant improvements the performance.

Ian's a top fella to deal with so rest assured if he says its good, it is!

GLWS

I'm Greg.

Default Burson Opamps

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Those Burson V5s are superb Opamps. I can totally vouch for their ability to make significant improvements the performance.

Ian's a top fella to deal with so rest assured if he says its good, it is!

GLWS
    I wrote the original Minimax/Burson review from which Burson have sold a lot of upgrades for the minimax (V5 or V6) - they still use my review on their eBay site

The V5's TOTALLY transform this Dac. I did at the time compare it to my Metrum Hex and came away thinking that I wasn't really sacrificing much by keeping the Minimax....

Basically it is still a bloody good dac with the V5's and has got some scope for further improvement (which I went into in some detail if you are willing to change out the caps around the opamp and bypass the opamp).

I still have mine and have no plans to sell it as whenever I connect it up nothing at all gets in the way of the music.

I'm Ian.

Hi Oliver,
    Thanks for the commendation
    Hi Greg,
    It took me a while to find your comments when I read them I found myself nodding in agreement. If I hadn't gone on a quest for a DAC with pre functions I would have been happy to keep the Minimax. I particularly liked this bit.

My Litmus test for a piece of audio equipment is how quickly I can relax, close my eyes and go to sleep – I have had a few technically great DACs where I was NEVER able to switch off critical analysis mode – revelling in the detail and sheer clarity but ultimately going nuts when I just can’t relax…..These DACs wow with their sheer excitement and energy long enough to get it them out of the showroom and into the front room.

The Minimax DAC with the V5 does pass the Litmus test for me – The V5’s haven’t turned it into a giant 5k DAC killing monster but it’s pretty damn close – close enough for me to just listen to the music and revel in the fact that I am more than $2k better off with my new DAC/Opamp combo and getting more than 90% of the enjoyment �� – done deal!............

............Tried it with Tube mode on and Just 2 V5 Opamps – step backwards for me now – plus from what I can gather the best way to run the Minimax if you use Opamps only is to pull the tube out.
    Totally agree about removing the valve but I've put it back for the sale

I'm Mike.

If I could sell my speakers, I'd have this
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    If I could sell my speakers, I'd have this
    I'm thinking about them.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm thinking about them.

Do you want to think a bit harder ?

I'm Ian.

This is like being in a house buying chain

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    This is like being in a house buying chain
    Nerve wracking isn't it

I'm Lawrence.

Still thinking... I don't do things in haste..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast