+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Failed NOS valves... ?

I'm Tim.

Default Failed NOS valves... ?

Hey all,
    Just wondering how many of these you've seen not valves that are not working when new (NOS)? I've had two from Ebay that measure well (apparently) but now have to go back. I don't see the sellers as dishonest as they have to take things back so it wouldn't benefit them. So far I'm 2 out of 4 with a lot of distortion!

Cheers, Tim

I'm Alex.

Something I had not considered until recent years, if NOS valves have been stored badly, say damp conditions, The pins can corrode, affecting the glass to pin seal, and hence affecting the valve.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Something I had not considered until recent years, if NOS valves have been stored badly, say damp conditions, The pins can corrode, affecting the glass to pin seal, and hence affecting the valve.
    As part of my routine I will take a bit of fine sandpaper and rub the pins of valves lightly so as to eliminate corrosion as a possible cause of distortion etc. No harm done and only takes a very short while.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A good trick with small valves is to stand them in a saucer and fill up to the top of the pins with Coca Cola. Leave overnight, pins will be bright and clean the next day.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Tim.

Awesome advice. Thanks all.

I'm James.

Or use a glass fibre pen, less aggressive than sandpaper. Cheap on amazon

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread