+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: God* help us, more PC madness

I'm Gary.

For me what's most concerning is, where is this leading us? Will this ever stop and if so, how?
    What will the world be like in 50 years time when it is populated, almost entirely, by these fragile people who are unable to cope with anything slightly unpleasant?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, but not het up about that; het up about the gagging or suppression of perfectly normal human activities, because some do-gooding idiots have deemed it as 'upsetting'.to the grossly oversensitive. What next? Ban laughter, 'cos it's a bit loud, innit? Yeah, that'll go down well with the po-faced malcontents, making big issues over nothing, posing as 'do-gooders'

The tossers behind this nonsense need a SLAP, not a clap.

Marco.
    . Ban Laughter ? Please don't give the females currently in parliament ideas !

I'm Geoff.

And just when you think they've made their minds up about what they want to be.............

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-...l-sex-11827740
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit odd but if had some affliction or condition that caused me to become distressed by loud, raucous crowds I'd avoid them. I wouldn't expect the majority to have to have to change their behaviour to accommodate me.
    Graduation ceremonies didn't used to be loud or raucous. A little bit of polite applause was all I got 40-odd years ago. The whooping and whistling has crept in over the years, probably from the USA.

I'm joe.

Indeed, but not het up about that; het up about the gagging or suppression of perfectly normal human activities, because some do-gooding idiots have deemed it as 'upsetting'.to the grossly oversensitive.
    AFAIK it relates to graduation ceremonies at a few universities (not at Bristol, where people at my graduation were encouraged to make as much noise as they wanted), so those 'suppressed' or 'gagged' will a) be voluntary attendees and b) number a few thousand at most.

I'm joe.

For me what's most concerning is, where is this leading us? Will this ever stop and if so, how?
    What will the world be like in 50 years time when it is populated, almost entirely, by these fragile people who are unable to cope with anything slightly unpleasant?
    One thing's for sure; if there's a molehill anywhere, the tabloids will make a mountain out of it.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    One thing's for sure; if there's a molehill anywhere, the tabloids will make a mountain out of it.
    Interesting choice of words, mountain and molehill.

Mountains being far larger, rather like the majority of the population who are having to change their words, actions and customs to cater for the minority, or molehills.

Contrary to what you may think this isn't only happening in tabloid headlines, it's in real life. Our Christmas tree at work was taken down in case it offended non Christians, yet perversely my employer provides prayer mats and has a prayer room set aside, complete with a diagram indicating the direction of Mecca. Care to rationalise that?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Maybe I'm a bit odd but if had some affliction or condition that caused me to become distressed by loud, raucous crowds I'd avoid them. I wouldn't expect the majority to have to have to change their behaviour to accommodate me. Perhaps I need to learn to be more selfish?

If I went to live in a country where their customs and cultures were different to those I am used to I would respect them as I am the minority, I wouldn't dream of expecting them to change or even make allowances for my benefit. If I wasn't prepared to tolerate their ways I simply wouldn't go there
    Nail > head! And in that respect, I'm as "odd" as you. The keyword there, however, is "tolerate". 'Considerate', in the context of this discussion, is also another apt word - and neither are practised enough by people in today's selfish 'me first' world.

The harsh reality, however, is that if you're in the minority, then your interests will never be as well catered for as those in the majority - and that applies in ALL aspects of life. That's just how it is, and how it will *always* be. Fair? No, but fact, yes. If you're in the minority, you cannot realistically expect the majority to prioritise your needs over theirs.

If you want to change things, and give the minority, and those with special needs, more consideration and the appropriate recognition [and I'm all for that], then you do it by EDUCATING the majority about the needs of the minority, and raising awareness accordingly, NOT by forcing the majority to change their behaviour, by banning or limiting things, such as clapping, which have been part of human life almost since its inception.

Again, it comes down to a question of showing TOLERANCE towards and ACCEPTiING others who aren't the same as you - but that cuts both ways - so the minority simply have to ACCEPT that their needs will never be as well-catered for as those of the majority, just as much as the majority must learn to be more TOLERANT and CONSIDERATE towards the needs of the minority.

The PC brigade want to mould the world into their cosy notion of 'correctness', and force others to bend to their will, rather than simply accepting that life will never what THEY want it to be, and learning to embrace compromise. At the end of the day, we've all got to share the same planet, and if we're going to co-exist in some semblance of harmony, then ALL of us, the majority and the minority, have to learn to give and take.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Tony.

If you’re happy and you know it [fill in as applicable]

If you’re happy and you know it, and you really want to show it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm John.

Nail > head! And in that respect, I'm as "odd" as you. The keyword there, however, is "tolerate".

The harsh reality is that if you're in the minority, then your interests will never be as well catered for as those in the majority - and that applies in ALL aspects of life. That's just how it is, and how it will *always* be. Fair? No, but fact, yes.

If you want to change things, and give the minority, and those with special needs, more consideration and the appropriate recognition [and I'm all for that], then you do it by EDUCATING the majority about the needs of the minority, and raising awareness accordingly, NOT by forcing the majority to change their behaviour, by banning things, such as clapping, which have been part of human life almost since its inception.

Again, it comes down to a question of showing TOLERANCE towards and ACCEPTiING others who aren't the same as you - but that cuts both ways - so the minority simply have to ACCEPT that their needs will never be as well-catered for as those of the majority, just as much as the majority must learn to be more TOLERANT towards the needs of the minority.

The PC brigade want to mould the world into their cosy notion of 'correctness', and force others to bend to their will, rather than simply accepting that life will never what THEY want it to be, and learning to embrace compromise. At the end of the day, we've all got to share the same planet, and if we're going to co-exist in some semblance of harmony, then ALL of us, the majority and the minority, have to learn to give and take.

Marco.
    I have given up believing that the PC types actually want to do any good in the world. It is basically just an excuse for pampered people with no real problems to worry about to obtain a sense of purpose. It fulfils the need of the self-righteous to bully other people while feeling they have a legitimate reason for doing so.

That's why the goalposts keep shifting and their demands become ever more ridiculous. They always have to have something new to be indignant about.

Hundreds of years ago they would have been saving the world from the devil, now they're saving the world from racism and sexism.

A great example of how ridiculous out society is:

Saying 'coloured people' is these days seen as backward and racist and will usually be met with sneering disapproval by the progressive types.

But saying 'people of colour' is the go-to trendy way to refer to ethnic minorities (that Munchety BBC woman used the term to describe herself the other day). How long before the accepted terminology changes again?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast