+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M bolt sizes to Allen/hex key.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not sure if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key, but as far as I'm aware the metric designation for 'Allen' keys, is the distance measured in mm across the flats of the hex key.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not sure if this helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key, but as far as I'm aware the metric designation for 'Allen' keys, is the distance measured in mm across the flats of the hex key.
    Yes, that seems to be correct Barry. The difficulty comes when using a key to determine the M size for a bolt/screw. The same key will fit two different M sizes dependant on whether they are countersunk or socket head.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Yes, that seems to be correct Barry. The difficulty comes when using a key to determine the M size for a bolt/screw. The same key will fit two different M sizes dependant on whether they are countersunk or socket head.
    Yes, the 'M-' designation for the hex key has nothing to do with the M size of the bolt/screw, save the designation of the key can never be numerically larger than that of the bolt/screw, as the hole would be larger than the diameter of the shank.

The knobs on my preamp are secured by grub screws that have a 'Torx' shaped hole. One of them (the imput selector) came loose, so I bought a set of Torx keys to tighten it. I had to buy a set as it was not all obvious what the correct size was. Even though I now know which key to use, the relation between the designation to some measured dimension still escapes me; and the Wikipedia article I cited does not explain it either.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

When I've needed any bolts I go into William Moore of Preston, which sells a lot of tools and every type of fastener. (Every town will have a place like that).

I go in, and say "have you got bolts that will fit this nut?" They take me round the back, where everything is sorted on shelves, and after a quick search he finds what I'm after. "How many do you need?" he asks. I reply "Two". And he doesn't pull a face. We go back to the till, he presses a few keys, then says to me "36 pence please", and cheerfully prints out a receipt. I feel so guilty I vow that one day I'll buy something really expensive, but so far I haven't.

Much better than faffing with tinternet imo
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

You are very lucky to have a traditional 'ironmonger' near you. We have a B&Q where they do sell fixings individually, but the range is limited.

I can't imagine finding a nut or bolt with, say, a 3/16 inch Whitworth thread.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Honestly Barry, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have even that, and Whitworth isn't a word I've heard since school. B&Q are ok for a lot of stuff, but their expertise is usually limited to "If it's not over there, we don't have it"
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12