+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Turntable Advice

I'm Russell.

Default New Turntable Advice

Really getting back into my Vinyl and looking at a new deck....but which?

Currently running an SL1200MKII in my main system with a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge through a Schiit Mani stage - really happy with that combo.

In my listening room I have my old Linn Basik with a new AT 120eb Cartridge through a Heed Questar into my Croft Integrated. It's OK but I can't help thinking the TT is the weak link here.

Been looking around and can get an ex Demo VPI Player for £750 which is appealing as it has the built in headphone amp and stage so basically would plug straight into the Croft.

For that money though I can get a decent RP6 or even an older LP12 and utilise my Akito arm from my Basik.

Choices choices eh - not sure which way to go so any advice anyone can give I'm happy to listen.

I'm steve.

Default New Turntable Advice

You could get a new Rega Planar 3 for under £600 without a cartridge and use your 120eb and perhaps later add the external PSU for about £200 more, I reckon it’s pretty close in performance to an RP6 for less money, the new P6 is probably better but it’s over £1k now.
    I have a P3 myself and love it in conjunction with an Audio Technica ATF7 moving coil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm John.

I recently heard a Long Dog Audio Quartz Mk II transform a Belt Drive TT to a noticeable improvement over the owners own modifications.
    When another footer was put into the set up, the TT was no longer recognised as a comparison to the original SQ, as the new SQ that was present appeared like a new TT was in use.
    Have a little fun with what you have, trying different isolation types and home trial a Power Supply. There may be a few surprises to be had.

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I recently heard a Long Dog Audio Quartz Mk II transform a Belt Drive TT to a noticeable improvement over the owners own modifications.
    When another footer was put into the set up, the TT was no longer recognised as a comparison to the original SQ, as the new SQ that was present appeared like a new TT was in use.
    Have a little fun with what you have, trying different isolation types and home trial a Power Supply. There may be a few surprises to be had.

Hi John, what footers were used, can you remember?

I'm John.

I'll Never forget them, as it feels like a real insult to ask to take them home once the TT owner experiences them.
    The Solid Tech 'feet of silence' or as I refer to them 'face of surprise' have been on loan in various systems since I purchased them.
    I've yet to use them on my set up.
    To date both Belt Drive and Idler Drives have shown major SQ improvements with them as footers.
    They also had a very positive effect on a Pair of Three Way Speakers, that allowed the owner to seriously consider the Townsend Speaker Footers that were more fitting for the role as a Heavy Cabinet support.
    I know of a variant being produced that will be much more fitting in stability and suit almost any weight of a Device used in a system. I am keen to see the finished product.

+ Reply to Thread