+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS. Bottlehead Quickie Battery Pre

I'm James.

Default FS. Bottlehead Quickie Battery Pre

A nice battery powered Preamp from Bottlehead. I bought this from Jake (Lord Mortlock) a few years ago. It is surprisingly capable for such a simple circuit, fantastic ambience and plenty of gain, improved by the optional but essential CCS circuit.

I even measured it (well I would wouldn't I) and it has really surprisingly decent specs, though I cannot find them currently...

Made by I know not whom, and finished in papal purple acrylic top plate (as supplied), a pair of copper clad, triode connected 3S4 tubes (very cheap and durable) and with two source inputs and a volume knob, and an on/off switch. There is a small ding to the rear corner of the acrylic which is photographed, but of little consequence given the aesthetics anyway and the rubber feet seem to have adhesive marks around them, but otherwise in good nick.

£100 to include a new set of decent batteries all round, £88 without batteries, both plus postage or collect from Tonbridge this Sunday, or W. London by arrangement.

Thanks for looking

EDIT: That ding looks 200% worse than in real life! There's no whitening, it's just a 2mm chip
    Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm julian.

How much gain does this have James, and do you have any links to a build to one of these ?
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm James.

There are links online but none that I have, I received it assembled already and never felt the need to tweak.
    Gain, now there's a good question, and I haven't a good answer. I can test but it won't be this weekend as I'm committed, but if you can hold on? What I can say is it runs on 36V B+ so assuming approx 45% of that at output you're looking at 5.7V max rms output. From memory it's not too sensitive, I'd guess 0.75V for that output, volume fully open, but that is a guess, nothing more.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    How much gain does this have James, and do you have any links to a build to one of these ?
    Hi Julian
    I have checked and it has 13dB of gain, so 450mV in gives 2V out, this with batteries running just under the 1.5V for the filaments and exactly 36V for B+, so I presume it would be fractionally more with fresh batteries. Included is the schematic (if I can find the blasted thing) but it's so simple it barely needs one. Room for rolling with cheap valves, capacitor rolling rabbit holes, and any amount of fun if that's your gig, or just listen to music

And as a plus the CCS circuit means that full performance is maintained down to 14.5V from the four PP3 batteries, so you get your money's worth from each set before having to replace them
    Last edited by Jazid; 05-10-2019 at 11:51.

I'm Ian.

Hi Jazid, is it still up for sale?

I'm James.

Yes Ian, still here. I assume you haven't got PMing rights yet. I'll call

I'm James.

Looks like this is sold STP.

I'm James.

Now sold, soon off to sunny Netherlands
    Thank you all for looking and Ian for a smooth and straightforward transaction.

+ Reply to Thread