+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 241

Thread: Women Hifi owners...

  1. #91
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 966
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Bloody 'ell, this place is becoming like PFM.
    Well, I've never seen the Communist Manifesto rolled out on here, and pfm is a lower case for difference. However, that's only in 'Off Topic'. However, I am amazed by the political bias of audio enthusiasts on the whole, at least as portrayed on that forum's sub-heading over the years.

  2. #92
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 966
    I'm Mike.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Oh thank God for that. The off topic room in PFM is something to be observed. Weirdly, it's like the middle aged militant male-only version of some super uptight student union association. You get ultra lefties and middle of the road types, but they've all got one thing in common; political correctness; that's their creed. Blairites most of them, probably a lot of Lib Dems amongst them too.
    Sorry; posted mine before coming across yours, which does indeed paint the picture. However, I think you're being somewhat benevolent in their portrayal as 'Blairites'. It is, as you say, reminiscent of student activism or just 'chip on the shoulder' politics. However, I'm gregarious in any good company regardless and it IS a very good audio forum, after all; not a political platform. (Marco, pls delete if inappropriate to the spirit of forum decorum).

  3. #93
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,412
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Well, the Jeff Beck song 'Tallyman' (1967) was aimed at people buying things 'on tick', so people aspiring to things they couldn't afford was perceived as a problem even then. I've seen British newspaper articles from the 1930s condemning consumerism and materialism. As with all these things, once you look more closely at contemporary reports (rather than relying on rose-tinted specs) you realise that what seem to be purely modern ills have been around for decades, or even centuries.
    I agree. As far as buying on tic goes, my recollection of the 1970s is that it was only used for essential items that could not be afforded in one hit - fridge, washer, vacuum cleaner, that sort of thing. Not Louis Vuitton handbags.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  4. #94
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 60,735
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    30's/40's/50's here it ws usually furniture etc that was mostly got on tick. But yes, you could get food or anything. And yes, credit cards have a lot to answer for when they became easy to get for folk who really couldnt affoerd them or use them correctly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

    **Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

  5. #95
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 90,905
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree. As far as buying on tic goes, my recollection of the 1970s is that it was only used for essential items that could not be afforded in one hit - fridge, washer, vacuum cleaner, that sort of thing. Not Louis Vuitton handbags.
    Both Joe and you are still missing the point though [as I've stated umpteen times now], or deliberately avoiding considering it.

    Marco.
    Proud anti-establishment/elite 'heretic', motivated to expose widespread Establishment bias, cover-ups and mind-control!

  6. #96
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,412
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Both Joe and you are still missing the point though [as I've stated umpteen times now], or deliberately avoiding considering it.

    Marco.
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is. That the internet has made consumerism more rampant?
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  7. #97
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 90,905
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is. That the internet has made consumerism more rampant?
    Well, I write very clearly in plain English, so it should be obvious. Yes, that's one of them, but also about the wider aspect of its repercussions, and the issue of brainwashing and control. Scroll back and read my last half-dozen posts again, and this time digest the content.

    Sorry, but it's *really* frustrating conducting discussions on forums, when the people you're communicating with aren't paying proper attention, so you have to keep going round and round in circles repeating yourself, waiting for the point you're making to eventually be acknowledged... The difference with me, however, is that I'll keep on going until it is!

    It's one of the reasons why there are so many circular arguments, because people seldom actually *read what is written in front of them*. Most often it appears that the content is only glanced at, and the missing bits subliminally filled in instead by the reader's own bias....

    Therefore the phrase: 'Only seeing what you WANT to see', seems most apt.

    Marco.
    Proud anti-establishment/elite 'heretic', motivated to expose widespread Establishment bias, cover-ups and mind-control!

  8. #98
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,412
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    I read what you wrote but it all seems pretty general. Can you give a specific example of what you're talking about?
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

  9. #99
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 90,905
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    If you'd been paying attention, you wouldn't have needed to ask me that

    Try post 75, for starters, where I was replying directly to you, after having quoted you, and to which I've received so far no response...

    Bloody hell, it's hard work!!

    Marco.
    Proud anti-establishment/elite 'heretic', motivated to expose widespread Establishment bias, cover-ups and mind-control!

  10. #100
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 26,412
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but only for those of a certain mindset, predisposed to such behaviour; some are more resistant to it. Not everyone is wired that way. I'm certainly not, and neither are many others I know.

    If I were that way inclined, I'd own the latest smartphone, rather than an ancient mobile phone from the very early 2000s [what does that say about my "status"? And it's not like I can't afford one], drive a brand new battery-powered car, live in a modern house, fitted with all the latest smart features, organise my life around social media, etc, etc...

    I *actively choose* to do precisely the OPPOSITE from what today is considered as the 'norm' or fashionable, and SHUN current technology unless I know it'll serve a useful purpose, first and foremost, for ME. I remember laughing when Piggurs tried to send a text message to my landline, because he thought it was a mobile number, as according to him, 'no-one uses landlines these days'!

    The condition you refer to, as highlighted above, is not only inherent in humans, but can be further nurtured through subliminal/insidious forms of brainwashing, via the viral marketing campaigns of huge global organisations, such as Apple, Google and Amazon, and for me there is ample evidence showing that technology such as smartphones help facilitate and accelerate that brainwashing process.

    So yes, it's partly about growing the brand, but it's also about who's behind the brand and what they're seeking to achieve/their end goal. The key word above is "viral", like the spreading of a disease (facilitated through social networks). Think about it

    As an aside, what do you reckon would be revealed by the debt figure comparison I mentioned in my last post?

    Marco.
    Not everyone is going to be attracted by the same things. You may have no interest in smartphones, but you do have other interests which you are happy to spend money on. I don't think any of us can claim that we are not affected by advertising, peer pressure, desire to display status and so on. Maybe to greater and lesser degrees but given it is a subconscious influence it seems to me to be a little naÔve for anyone to say they are not influenced to some degree.

    As far as the internet goes I'd probably agree prima face that it has made it easier for a brand to influence. On the other hand if you look at success rates for internet advertising they are generally quite poor. Much less effective than television or print advertising are. Or were since both are now on the decline.

    No question there is a lot more debt now than there was 30 or 40 years ago. Whether the internet is responsible I don't know. Credit became much easy to obtain over that period so I'd suggest that would certainly account for the lion's share of the reason. Hard to get into debt if no-one will lend you money.

    As for the 'brainwashing' that is also as old as the hills. Religion and patriotism were always quite effective as a means of control. IME the greater mass of people are always looking for something to believe in or a leader to follow. Again I would say that is an innate part of what we are, not something that has been created in us, and certainly not a recent thing.
    Current Lash Up:

    *Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *


    'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •