+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Women Hifi owners...

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Bloody 'ell, this place is becoming like PFM.
    Well, I've never seen the Communist Manifesto rolled out on here, and pfm is a lower case for difference. However, that's only in 'Off Topic'. However, I am amazed by the political bias of audio enthusiasts on the whole, at least as portrayed on that forum's sub-heading over the years.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Oh thank God for that. The off topic room in PFM is something to be observed. Weirdly, it's like the middle aged militant male-only version of some super uptight student union association. You get ultra lefties and middle of the road types, but they've all got one thing in common; political correctness; that's their creed. Blairites most of them, probably a lot of Lib Dems amongst them too.
    Sorry; posted mine before coming across yours, which does indeed paint the picture. However, I think you're being somewhat benevolent in their portrayal as 'Blairites'. It is, as you say, reminiscent of student activism or just 'chip on the shoulder' politics. However, I'm gregarious in any good company regardless and it IS a very good audio forum, after all; not a political platform. (Marco, pls delete if inappropriate to the spirit of forum decorum).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Well, the Jeff Beck song 'Tallyman' (1967) was aimed at people buying things 'on tick', so people aspiring to things they couldn't afford was perceived as a problem even then. I've seen British newspaper articles from the 1930s condemning consumerism and materialism. As with all these things, once you look more closely at contemporary reports (rather than relying on rose-tinted specs) you realise that what seem to be purely modern ills have been around for decades, or even centuries.
    I agree. As far as buying on tic goes, my recollection of the 1970s is that it was only used for essential items that could not be afforded in one hit - fridge, washer, vacuum cleaner, that sort of thing. Not Louis Vuitton handbags.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

30's/40's/50's here it ws usually furniture etc that was mostly got on tick. But yes, you could get food or anything. And yes, credit cards have a lot to answer for when they became easy to get for folk who really couldnt affoerd them or use them correctly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree. As far as buying on tic goes, my recollection of the 1970s is that it was only used for essential items that could not be afforded in one hit - fridge, washer, vacuum cleaner, that sort of thing. Not Louis Vuitton handbags.
    Both Joe and you are still missing the point though [as I've stated umpteen times now], or deliberately avoiding considering it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Both Joe and you are still missing the point though [as I've stated umpteen times now], or deliberately avoiding considering it.

Marco.
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is. That the internet has made consumerism more rampant?
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is. That the internet has made consumerism more rampant?
    Well, I write very clearly in plain English, so it should be obvious. Yes, that's one of them, but also about the wider aspect of its repercussions, and the issue of brainwashing and control. Scroll back and read my last half-dozen posts again, and this time digest the content.

Sorry, but it's *really* frustrating conducting discussions on forums, when the people you're communicating with aren't paying proper attention, so you have to keep going round and round in circles repeating yourself, waiting for the point you're making to eventually be acknowledged... The difference with me, however, is that I'll keep on going until it is!

It's one of the reasons why there are so many circular arguments, because people seldom actually *read what is written in front of them*. Most often it appears that the content is only glanced at, and the missing bits subliminally filled in instead by the reader's own bias....

Therefore the phrase: 'Only seeing what you WANT to see', seems most apt.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I read what you wrote but it all seems pretty general. Can you give a specific example of what you're talking about?
    Current Lash Up:

If you'd been paying attention, you wouldn't have needed to ask me that

Try post 75, for starters, where I was replying directly to you, after having quoted you, and to which I've received so far no response...

Bloody hell, it's hard work!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but only for those of a certain mindset, predisposed to such behaviour; some are more resistant to it. Not everyone is wired that way. I'm certainly not, and neither are many others I know.

If I were that way inclined, I'd own the latest smartphone, rather than an ancient mobile phone from the very early 2000s [what does that say about my "status"? And it's not like I can't afford one], drive a brand new battery-powered car, live in a modern house, fitted with all the latest smart features, organise my life around social media, etc, etc...

I *actively choose* to do precisely the OPPOSITE from what today is considered as the 'norm' or fashionable, and SHUN current technology unless I know it'll serve a useful purpose, first and foremost, for ME. I remember laughing when Piggurs tried to send a text message to my landline, because he thought it was a mobile number, as according to him, 'no-one uses landlines these days'!

The condition you refer to, as highlighted above, is not only inherent in humans, but can be further nurtured through subliminal/insidious forms of brainwashing, via the viral marketing campaigns of huge global organisations, such as Apple, Google and Amazon, and for me there is ample evidence showing that technology such as smartphones help facilitate and accelerate that brainwashing process.

So yes, it's partly about growing the brand, but it's also about who's behind the brand and what they're seeking to achieve/their end goal. The key word above is "viral", like the spreading of a disease (facilitated through social networks). Think about it

As an aside, what do you reckon would be revealed by the debt figure comparison I mentioned in my last post?

Marco.
    Not everyone is going to be attracted by the same things. You may have no interest in smartphones, but you do have other interests which you are happy to spend money on. I don't think any of us can claim that we are not affected by advertising, peer pressure, desire to display status and so on. Maybe to greater and lesser degrees but given it is a subconscious influence it seems to me to be a little naïve for anyone to say they are not influenced to some degree.

As far as the internet goes I'd probably agree prima face that it has made it easier for a brand to influence. On the other hand if you look at success rates for internet advertising they are generally quite poor. Much less effective than television or print advertising are. Or were since both are now on the decline.

No question there is a lot more debt now than there was 30 or 40 years ago. Whether the internet is responsible I don't know. Credit became much easy to obtain over that period so I'd suggest that would certainly account for the lion's share of the reason. Hard to get into debt if no-one will lend you money.

As for the 'brainwashing' that is also as old as the hills. Religion and patriotism were always quite effective as a means of control. IME the greater mass of people are always looking for something to believe in or a leader to follow. Again I would say that is an innate part of what we are, not something that has been created in us, and certainly not a recent thing.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast