+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Women Hifi owners...

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - shows you how different we are... Depends what age you're talking about, but when I was a kid I was interested in cycling, football, music and......Girls!

I did buy the odd 'Warlord' comic, though

Marco.
    From about nine to about fifteen, though I also played a lot of football and went to see Liverpool play at that time. I had a bike which was a hand-me-down from my cousin. We didn't have a record player till I was in my mid-teens. I also used to buy lots of Marvel and DC comics from the age of nine or ten, which would probably be worth a fortune now, but I gave them away to friends once I'd read them as my mother couldn't stand 'clutter'.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cool... That sounds a lot more fun than the nerdy stuff you mentioned before

When I was a kid, I was hardly indoors, especially when the weather was good, so the very last thing that would've appealed to me would've been stuck in my room reading books on military history - or anything, really

Perhaps the 'SHOOT!' annual from 1975....

Each to their own though. I was listening to and enjoying music on a mono Panasonic cassette recorder, from about 6 years old.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Returning to the thread topic [yes I know it's a rather novel idea], the other aspect involved in why apparently so few women are into hi-fi (or don't appear to know much about it), is that it can be (and often is) a rather solitary pursuit. How many here are single middle-aged blokes living on their own, with no company at home other than a TV and hi-fi system?

Women, by nature, are social creatures and enjoy, indeed actively seek, human interaction, which hi-fi geekery doesn't intrinsically lend itself to. On the other hand, men tend to be more solitary creatures, and happier on their own, although I'm not like that.

It's one of the reasons why I've stopped using my main system upstairs as much, and built a decent system downstairs in our lounge, so Del and I could listen to and enjoy music together, perhaps over a nice meal and a few glasses of wine, rather than me being stuck upstairs, and her downstairs watching TV, or her having to come upstairs to sit with me.

It's much more comfortable and cosier in our lounge, especially during the winter months with the log-burner on, and with tying movies in with music, with the system downstairs, it makes listening to music and watching films a rather fun and rewarding experience, plus we can chat together/have a laugh, and behave as a proper married couple, rather than two people doing different things in separate rooms!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Returning to the thread topic .
    But the Vietnam War is far more interesting! Arguably the most complex and interesting of all the wars.

Who cares if some bint has a hi-fi or not?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not often I disturb people at work through laughter Martin . . . this done it tho. Thanks.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But the Vietnam War is far more interesting! Arguably the most complex and interesting of all the wars.

It's more boring than Brexit! I'm more interested in the size and texture of the excursions from my arse, or the musky tang of my intestinal gas, than that cack [pun intended]... I guess I wouldn't mind watching a dramatised version of it in a film (and there are a few around), but that's all.

Funny last comment, though

Marco.

P.S I'll be moving the war dribble later to a separate thread, and you can yack there to your heart's content.
    Main System

Done! Please follow the link below now for all war talk. Churz

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-Canvas)/page4

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Well done Marco. It needed doing!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Now that war has moved to a different theatre of operations, I'll also return to the feminine side of hifi. I've often remarked upon and thought why there should be a dearth of active women audio buffs, as there are probably just as many music lovers out there as men.

I think the answer is than men tend more to gravitate to engineering, regardless of whether they're that way inclined normally All hifi aficionados I've ever known have been interested in the kit, whether aesthetically or from a DIY/engineer's p.o.v but invariably both. Women's brains are not wired that way and I've never had really positive comments about any audio kit I've had. I guess I've had one or two 'that looks impressive', said with a look on the face which says 'how can anyone put up with that in their living room'.

To conclude; women in hifi has never been a going concern and never will be. Unlike photography, hifi is masculine; full stop.

PS I'm an ardent history student so I might just look in on the new battlefield.

I'm Dennis.

I think it is instinctual for men to look towards practical solutions to improve life, and Hi-Fi fits in with that tendency.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast