+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Women Hifi owners...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yo, Piggurs... No thoughts on post 51?

Marco.
    Not really - it appears me that we largely agree on all this, so all I can do is perhaps clarify one or two statements I made earlier.

Firstly, these "look at me" homes are I would say rather beyond yours or my budget, and so aren't really part of our world. They belong to the top 1%, footballers, performing artists, and those at the highest level in business. Their homes appear on TV programmes like "Through the Keyhole" and "Homes of the Rich and Famous". These homes' primary function is to wow onlookers, although even in these cases the men won't have much to do with the finer details of "making that house a home".

I stand by what I said about "nest builders" and "providers". I know there have been changes in the last 40 or so years, but largely it is still women who are more concerned with the finer details. It's not sexist of me to point at these differences - I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just is. Certainly there will be exceptions, like your circumstances, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Actually your domestic arrangements are quite similar to mine, except that Mrs. P is the one that stays at home. Nothing wrong with either set up, as it works for us, as it does for you and Del. The only difference is that you chose to retire early, whereas Anita, who is a few years younger than you, was forced to leave a job she really liked because of ill health. She is now still 15 years away from retirement age, but will never go out to work again.

I also stand by my comment about women having a good ear for hifi, but usually not giving a shit about it. Talk about youth being wasted on the young, good ears are wasted on most women. Except as somewhere to fix those big hoop ear rings, which make useful grab handles whenever she may be doing you a favour

I probably ruined my entire post with that last sentence, but I'll leave it in anyway.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm joe.

I must be fundamentally incurious. I couldn't give a toss whether someone buys a new iPhone every week or still has the first mobile they ever bought, whether they live in a 'show home' or a shack, whether they clean that home meticulously or just let the dust gather, what car(s) they drive, or how much money they've got and how they spend it. I simply don't see those things as any of my business.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It can be intimidating to visitors, who may well be disinclined to visit again.
    indeed, as i was. she would ask me if i wanted to come in and i always had a good excuse ready. i just felt uncomfortable tbh. i was used to clean and tidy, but not to this level, but it was just her way, and she wanted showoffy about it.. just house proud, but it was just too much for a slob like me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I must be fundamentally incurious. I couldn't give a toss whether someone buys a new iPhone every week or still has the first mobile they ever bought, whether they live in a 'show home' or a shack, whether they clean that home meticulously or just let the dust gather, what car(s) they drive, or how much money they've got and how they spend it. I simply don't see those things as any of my business.
    No, and I fully agree... *BUT* there's nothing wrong with making (valid) observations about human behaviour, how it has evolved through the decades, and criticising aspects of it now that you think aren't going in the right direction. It's a subject that interests me greatly.

So, you're missing the point. It's people's behaviour that fascinates me, not what they have or don't.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If folk want to live in a "show home" its their choice. It wouldnt be mine; im far to lazy to achieve such level of neatness, and i'd be affraid to fart.
    I know an old woman who did live a bit like that. Old stuff but all immaculate. polished floors you could shave in... Dust? not a spot.... It was quite intimidating tbh and to me very uncomfortable, but hey, it wasn't my home.
    Yes it's their choice, and I fully respect that, but it's definitely a form of OCD... Plus, I don't think that the old woman you've mentioned would quite fit the demographic I'm referring to.

Like you say, she was just "house proud", which was common in people of her generation, as they would've likely grown up (in austerity during war times) having very little in terms of material possessions, and so when she was in a position later in life to be able to afford to buy some nice things, she sought to look after them and keep them in good condition.

Therefore, it would've been more about preserving things she'd worked very hard to get, and keep nice, than about showing off. Most folk from that era were house proud. I admire that. The materialistic 'show offs' I'm referring to these days, however, are a rather different breed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No, and I fully agree... *BUT* there's nothing wrong with making (valid) observations about human behaviour, how it has evolved through the decades, and criticising aspects of it now that you think aren't going in the right direction. It's a subject that interests me greatly.

So, you're missing the point. It's people's behaviour that fascinates me, not what they have or don't.

Marco.
    OK, but there's nothing new about people defining themselves through their possessions (and sometimes living beyond their means in their attempts to outdo their neighbours); it's been going on for thousands of years. It's the type of possessions that have changed, rather than the type of behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Firstly, these "look at me" homes are I would say rather beyond yours or my budget, and so aren't really part of our world. They belong to the top 1%, footballers, performing artists, and those at the highest level in business. Their homes appear on TV programmes like "Through the Keyhole" and "Homes of the Rich and Famous". These homes' primary function is to wow onlookers, although even in these cases the men won't have much to do with the finer details of "making that house a home".
    Interesting... Then we're talking about rather different "look at me" types. I'm referring to the ones Adrian mentioned earlier, and whom he encountered in the Apple store:

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly
    having worked in the fruity shop for nearly 10 years I have seen people from all walks of life who are completely obsessed about the newest and best phone, tablet or computer but really have no idea why. Accept they actually believe it will make them better and look better than others.
    ...and there are millions of them worldwide. They're not especially wealthy, but they've been brainwashed into behaving as above. What intrigues me, is what DRIVES the behaviour of *those* "look at me types"?

And there are more and more being similarly brainwashed daily... The key bit, in terms of the brainwashing, is indicated by the words: "but really have no idea why".

I stand by what I said about "nest builders" and "providers". I know there have been changes in the last 40 or so years, but largely it is still women who are more concerned with the finer details. It's not sexist of me to point at these differences - I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just is. Certainly there will be exceptions, like your circumstances, and there is nothing wrong with that either.
    Broadly, we agree. However, as far as the bit in bold goes, it depends on the work or social circles within which you frequent. If you're an 'arty' type or have an interest in interior design, and male [and there are plenty of us around], then the "finer details" matter a great deal

As an example, it took Del and I *months* to choose the colour for our bespoke-designed kitchen units, and almost as long to choose the style of handles for the drawers!

Actually your domestic arrangements are quite similar to mine, except that Mrs. P is the one that stays at home. Nothing wrong with either set up, as it works for us, as it does for you and Del. The only difference is that you chose to retire early, whereas Anita, who is a few years younger than you, was forced to leave a job she really liked because of ill health. She is now still 15 years away from retirement age, but will never go out to work again.
    Sorry to hear what happened to Anita. That must've been hard to take.

I also stand by my comment about women having a good ear for hifi, but usually not giving a shit about it. Talk about youth being wasted on the young, good ears are wasted on most women. Except as somewhere to fix those big hoop ear rings, which make useful grab handles whenever she may be doing you a favour

I probably ruined my entire post with that last sentence, but I'll leave it in anyway.
    Lol... Shall I play? No, I'll be a good boy for once!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    OK, but there's nothing new about people defining themselves through their possessions (and sometimes living beyond their means in their attempts to outdo their neighbours); it's been going on for thousands of years. It's the type of possessions that have changed, rather than the type of behaviour.
    No I disagree, current modern technology has made materialistic behaviour worse than ever. However, it's pointless entering into a debate with you about it, as we'll never agree.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Consumerism came out after ww2 in the USA. Affluence grew, people started buying houses in suburbia and changing cars every year. Wives filled house with every convenience. Fast food took off. TV took off.
    Then they shipped it over here.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yes, but it goes deeper than that now, as the brainwashing is far more insidious.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast