+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC and I2S

I'm Alan.

Default PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC and I2S

Hi Folks, so im getting closer to purchasing the above DAC, ive chosen this for a few reasons, home theatre mode, (a big selling point for me) a very interesting analogue preamp, IE no actual attenuation device and does not rely on digital volume out from DAC, another analogue input for my TT and finally the heritage of PS Audio, I just wish it wasnt so expensive! Oh well, im told its a bargain!

So I noticed one or 2 users of it here and I wondered if you had any gripes, any niggles or things you wish it didnt or indeed did do? It will mainly be used as the HT front left and right channels connected to my Monos. I was wondering how smooth the whole process was using it like this, I have a logitech Harmony Elite so I expect it all to be easy for the wife, at present it is not. Ive been looking and havnt actually seen a picture of a remote control for it but its been mentioned in a few reviews so im guessing it does have one or thats going to kill it!

Next I wondered if anyone is using the I2s input, as I wont be able to use my squeezebox touch in USB mode (as I couldnt with my Teac) I am looking at a Rpi with add on boards. Now I like the look of Ian Canadas, something like the ultimate fifo plus his I2S over HDMI, there are other options like Audio Gd and a few ready made units but most of those are a bit too rich for my wallet, the DAC is going to clean me out. Has anyone tried Ian Canadas I2S HDMI card into this or any other DAC with compatible input?

Any views positive or negative on the above products most appreciated.
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Grant.

Gazjam uses a directstream Ps one. And he uses the is2 connection..
    Last edited by struth; 03-10-2019 at 06:14.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Hi Alan,
    As Grant says I use a PS Audio dac with i2s, so mibbay can help a bit.

Not the Stellar dac I have, but I use tbe i2s input on mine with my Oppo 203 running Roon as a network streamer.
    Its a great way to hookup your kit if you can, on paper the BEST way to connect digitally, and PS Audio are one of the few manufacturers who offer it, in fact, they wrote the standard.

From my own use, can vouch for it being perhaps my Dacs best sounding input, so going i2s with the pi is the way to go Id say.

Never heard your Stellar Gain Cell dac, but by all reviews Ive read and its functionality, looks a great piece of kit.
    Its PS Audio, so it'll sound great too.
    lots of great reviews here.
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/ste...l/#tab-reviews

Never used a Pi setup, so can't assist with that, but lots of guys on here have, and they are a helpful bunch.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Alan,
    As Grant says I use a PS Audio dac with i2s, so mibbay can help a bit.

Not the Stellar dac I have, but I use tbe i2s input on mine with my Oppo 203 running Roon as a network streamer.
    Its a great way to hookup your kit if you can, on paper the BEST way to connect digitally, and PS Audio are one of the few manufacturers who offer it, in fact, they wrote the standard.

From my own use, can vouch for it being perhaps my Dacs best sounding input, so going i2s with the pi is the way to go Id say.

Never heard your Stellar Gain Cell dac, but by all reviews Ive read and its functionality, looks a great piece of kit.
    Its PS Audio, so it'll sound great too.
    lots of great reviews here.
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/ste...l/#tab-reviews

Never used a Pi setup, so can't assist with that, but lots of guys on here have, and they are a helpful bunch.
    Thanks Gazjam, i guess you used one of the 200 dollar i2s cards on ebay? I see those players are very well sought after and still go for good money second hand. Did you have to do anything else or does that card drop straight in using existing connections? I think ive read every review on the internet waiting for my bank balance to increase.
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Gary.

No bother Alan.

I got my i2s board (and all the other Opp mods I did directly from a company called Oppomod in Korea.

Big thread on what I did with my stock Oppo 203 here:
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ajor-Oppo-mods

I did all my mods mostly around the same time, but re: the i2s board, aside a bit of ultraviolence with a dremel on the rear of the case, it was mostly plug n play.

See the thread I linked to for more info.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

Very nice, I will have a read thanks, I think my budget will be limited to RPi though looking at all the bits, I always want every mod you can buy for a given product.

I'm Gary.

same, we must be obsessed!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread