+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: speaker connections

I'm Mike.

I thought the holes looked a bit small.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I suspect they will accommodate the "old fashioned" 4mm banana plugs like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-GOLD-4m...EAAOxy1klRdglk
    Always a little further

I'm Dennis.

There is a possibility that the sockets are 3mm, when I rebuilt my SCM100s the mids I had took 3mm, but the new plugs I received were 4mm because ATC changed to the new norm.

I'm Mike.

Well if I ever manage to get these speakers I'll find out.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    No the plugs are just big! Never had an issue with mine, tight fit but that's a good thing.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Managed to make contact with the seller and these Kefs are now dominating my living room! They were £300, after a brief listen they have more presence than my somewhat smaller Chario syntars. Though I think they more show up the Quad 909 for the rather soft sounding amp it is, of course my listening room is very limited in how I site the speakers, so I cannot play around with that unfortunately, a larger better proportioned listening space might help these to sing better. I have the volume at 6 o'clock and they still lack slam, that must be the Quad, though the sound is pleasing enough after this short listen anyway. They of course need much more wattage than the Charios.

I'm Lawrence.

I was told that the model 1 and 2 had foam surrounds on the internal woofers whereas the 3 and 4 used rubber. Might be worth getting a torch through the port to see if there's any sign of deterioration on them.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I was told that the model 1 and 2 had foam surrounds on the internal woofers whereas the 3 and 4 used rubber. Might be worth getting a torch through the port to see if there's any sign of deterioration on them.

You can only see the backs of the inside drivers, but it all looks pretty mint. The speakers in my system sound rather dead, feel like putting my old Charios right back in, thing is though you are of course never listening to the speakers alone, but the speakers and rest of your hifi and how they interact with the room. Like I said in my last post I can't really experiment much with room placement, but even though these speakers are much larger than the charios, they seem to have a smaller, or softer sound, even though in my last post I said they were bigger, should have listened a bit more first! Just played some 80s synth pop and the sound was dull as ditch water. Though searching on the web you will find many happy owners of these speakers, |I obviously need to do a bit of experimenting with different amps, I am trying to clean up my sources as much as possible as well, which is mainly vinyl. Though I think my next move is a different brand of amp. EDIT - Listening now I notice they are rather special with voices.

I'm Dave.

You appear to be going around and around.

You have described the KEFs quite nicely - flat and uninvolving and the 909 is not a 'soft' sounding amp. Ditch those KEFs and find something more to your taste by listening before you buy.

I'm ROGER.

Agreed the Quad 909 won't be the problem here, the 909 along with all of Quads "current dumpers" are still fine amps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast