+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: speaker connections

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You appear to be going around and around.

You have described the KEFs quite nicely - flat and uninvolving and the 909 is not a 'soft' sounding amp. Ditch those KEFs and find something more to your taste by listening before you buy.
    Yeh they were a bit of an impulse buy. Its difficult to get an idea of how components sound from reviews, which isn't helpful! As they are physically larger than the Charios I thought they would have a bigger more exciting sound stage, but exciting they ain't. Playing some John Martyn now and they're ok, but I need more of an all round speaker. I'll leave em in for a while anyway, they were £300 so not expensive, I think they'd be good for people with more pedestrian tastes in music.
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 08-10-2019 at 00:28.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I think they'd be good for people with more pedestrian tastes in music.
    That will be The Walker Brothers then.

I'm Edward.

Mike, what did you decide on how to connect up the biwire links and also are all drivers working? Lack of slam and lack of excitement which you mentioned possibly point to one or more drivers not working. Alternatively the caps on the crossovers needs refreshing. Kefs definitely should be exciting and have slam.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Dave.

Yeh they were a bit of an impulse buy. Its difficult to get an idea of how components sound from reviews, which isn't helpful! As they are physically larger than the Charios I thought they would have a bigger more exciting sound stage, but exciting they ain't. Playing some John Martyn now and they're ok, but I need more of an all round speaker. I'll leave em in for a while anyway, they were £300 so not expensive, I think they'd be good for people with more pedestrian tastes in music.
    You can't rely on 'reviews' or other people's opinions. You need to listen and make up your own mind. One man's 'exciting' is another man's in yer face. Smooth and relaxing might be slow and laid back etc. Listen, preferably in your room, before splashing the cash.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Mike, what did you decide on how to connect up the biwire links and also are all drivers working? Lack of slam and lack of excitement which you mentioned possibly point to one or more drivers not working. Alternatively the caps on the crossovers needs refreshing. Kefs definitely should be exciting and have slam.
    I just put some old copper speaker cable between the terminals.

IMG_20191008_130815952_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

Rather dominate my living room! As you can see rather limited in positioning.
    IMG_20191006_201155863_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

How would I know whether any of the drivers aren't working? 2 of them are inside the cabinet!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Gary.

I would have fed the speaker cable into the LF terminals and the links ( wires whatever) to the HF.

May not make any difference but I would do it that way.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I would have fed the speaker cable into the LF terminals and the links ( wires whatever) to the HF.

May not make any difference but I would do it that way.

Gary
    I didn't wanna rip the plugs off!

I'm Martin.

I think he meant put the plugs in the lower (LF) sockets rather than the upper (HF) ones.

Bigman80 Guest

I didn't wanna rip the plugs off!

I do t know why you think Gary would "mean rip off the plugs" lol.

The reason (recently explained to me) for fitting the cables to the LF and putting the jumpers to the HF, is that bass drivers have the furthest distance to travel so usually draw more power. It's better to directly connect the LF to the amp for this reason.

I'm Dennis.

"I would have fed the speaker cable into the LF terminals and the links ( wires whatever) to the HF.

May not make any difference but I would do it that way."

I agree with others about connecting the speaker cables directly to the woofers, and then linking up to the tweeters, also for neatness and not having a dangling heavy cable.

I also doubt the speakers are lacking slam, and think that the internal drivers carry only bass, which should be easily verifiable as a sound source or not if missing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast