+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: speaker connections

I'm Edward.

Fully concur with you Adrian regarding the Tannoys. Once bitten never forgotten (mixing metaphors!).

My first entry to Tannoys were via Eatons and I knew going larger would be more of the same - but larger. So when an unrestored pair of Berkeleys came up I grabbed them (and restored them). You are 100% correct, they have the same sound signature - just more scale for the larger ones. I've been switching between them and same signature. Happy with both and even the larger Tannoys work just fine in a medium size room.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Fully concur with you Adrian regarding the Tannoys. Once bitten never forgotten (mixing metaphors!).

My first entry to Tannoys were via Eatons and I knew going larger would be more of the same - but larger. So when an unrestored pair of Berkeleys came up I grabbed them (and restored them). You are 100% correct, they have the same sound signature - just more scale for the larger ones. I've been switching between them and same signature. Happy with both and even the larger Tannoys work just fine in a medium size room.
    Yes my Ardens are in a room that is 24 by 12.5 feet, and I think this is about the lint in terms of minimum size for them. I manage to get away with it as I have them pointing down the room and I sit at about double the normal sitting position, and seem to have got it set up to avoid bass re-enforcement, but others might disagree.

Sonically I find then a very relaxing and easy to listen to speaker, you can listen at low and high volumes and what I have noticed is they do not become wearing. I think this is a indication of a good speaker especially at higher volumes, perhaps they are accurate and do not distort the music. Whatever it is they sound great.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    If you are tempted to investigate Tannoys then do consider the smaller ones for your room, they all have a similar sound signature as I understand it.
    Not really. They vary a lot.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not really. They vary a lot.
    Do you mean between the Golds, HPDs etc? Or large cabinets Vs small cabinets (for a given size driver)? Do they still sound similar when you have the same generation drivers in reasonably sized boxes for the driver size?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Yes my Ardens are in a room that is 24 by 12.5 feet, and I think this is about the lint in terms of minimum size for them. I manage to get away with it as I have them pointing down the room and I sit at about double the normal sitting position, and seem to have got it set up to avoid bass re-enforcement, but others might disagree.

Sonically I find then a very relaxing and easy to listen to speaker, you can listen at low and high volumes and what I have noticed is they do not become wearing. I think this is a indication of a good speaker especially at higher volumes, perhaps they are accurate and do not distort the music. Whatever it is they sound great.
    Indeed, they sound wonderful at all volume levels without fatigue. But generally I find the 'best' volume is the same volume level that would be the case in a live performance. That obviously varies according the music genre. You seem to like heavy rock - that would be far too loud for other family members here - not speaking of neighbours.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Do you mean between the Golds, HPDs etc? Or large cabinets Vs small cabinets (for a given size driver)? Do they still sound similar when you have the same generation drivers in reasonably sized boxes for the driver size?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    The Eatons and the Berkeleys I have are with HPDs - similar sound signature. I don't have golds, tulip wave etc. May well have different signatures.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Indeed, they sound wonderful at all volume levels without fatigue. But generally I find the 'best' volume is the same volume level that would be the case in a live performance. That obviously varies according the music genre. You seem to like heavy rock - that would be far too loud for other family members here - not speaking of neighbours.
    I do favour rock music, but also listen to jazz, blues and classical and certain types of modern folk. I tend to listen at reasonable levels peaking around 80dB much more and then you are risking hearing over prolonged periods.

Listening levels are tricky, I think if it was necessary to listen at low volumes regularly then I might think about speaker choice again, possible Wilson Benesch Arcs or similar supplemented with a woofer. Also I would consider listening I an smaller room and near listening, but that is not what I prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456