+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SME 3009R: anything to watch out for when buying s/h?

I'm Peter.

The arm is a genuine SME 3009R tonearm.

The only exceptions being the two screws + the fact that two tiny springs are missing + there is no headshell. Otherwise it is complete.

So how on earth two respected international SME-repairers could reach a verdict of it being absolutely a fake arm is beyond me. It beggars belief and one may be excused for saying some nasty things about those two American and German experts that make money restoring SME arms. You can scroll up and get their names. I for one will never ever again get near them or their businesses with a bargepole. NOT RECOMMENDED.

On the contrary, SME UK was right in their tentative conclusion on the basis of my photos of the arm. The same photos that were sent to the two "experts."

------

I spent almost three hours together with Poul Mathiasen (correctly spelled this time) at his combined business and home in Aaarhus. It took him 10 seconds to establish that my SME 3009R is completely genuine and in good condition. No doubt whatsoever. He will gladly certify this or repeat this to anyone who will want to check. You can find him through his website "Dansk Audio Teknik".

After a few minutes spent looking at the genuine SME 3009R tonearm, I listened to some fantastic music - first Lucinda Williams in the basement where some big tower speakers were driven by Class D amps, then upstairs on an active ATC chain: ATC SCA 2 - (8 Channel) ATC power amp - ATC 300 speakers fed by a Weiss DAC 1 and a nice CD-player (I forgot to write down the brand but perhaps someone can identify it from the photo?). We listened to Lucinda Williams albums ("World Without Tears" and "Live @ the Fillmore"), The Hadouk Trio and Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Revisited" (live). Impressive and realistic sound. Holy Moly! I may want to borrow the ATC SCA2 preamp for a repeat performance in my own set-up, or perhaps better not ...

Photos of a vinyl-lined room - and before anyone asks, "no" - I did not listen to music through the gigantic horn-speakers that can be seen waiting in the next room, and "no" we did not spin any vinyl on the SME turntable:

I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Lawrence.

That must be a relief and you can understand why the seller was a bit upset, although having fake screws didn't help the matter.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

I think the explanation for wrong or fake screws is simple and innocent enough: they were mislaid at some point in time.

The first thing I did after the arm had been deemed genuine in all respects was to text the seller and apologize to him.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234