+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SME 3009R: anything to watch out for when buying s/h?

I'm Peter.

Default SME 3009R: anything to watch out for when buying s/h?

I was just offered an SME 3009R and would like to know what sort of things to look out for if I go to have a look at it.

1) Potential issues with s/h SME 3009R tonearms?

2) The bearing: nylon --> steel --> bronze - which is the best?

3) Tonearm base material?

4) Would it be a good match for my Benz Micro Gullwing SLR even on my Thorens TD 147 Jubilee?

Thanks!

Here are a few photos sent to me by the seller who has it mounted on a Micro Seiki DQX 500:

I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Peter.

Oh. Nevermind.
    The guy who approached me for a trade, had put his SME 3009R up for sale in Denmark and when we were negotiating a trade, he had removed his advert and was requesting a higher trade value for his SME 3009R against my phono stage. He was the one who approached me. Oh well.
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Somewhat post hoc, but I would avoid any SME arm fitted with nylon bearings. There is some debate as to whether steel or bronze is the better material, but most agree that either is an improvement over nylon.
    Barry

I'm James.

Someone with business ethics like that wouldn't be above forgetting to mention a fault or two. Lucky escape I'd say.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

I know that you can have the arm serviced and upgraded with bronze bearings in Germany. That is what I would have done.

I'm Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    I know that you can have the arm serviced and upgraded with bronze bearings in Germany. That is what I would have done.
    This is a SME3009 'R' model. They are of the medium toward heavy effective mass tonearm. As such they would match medium toward low compliant cartridges.

About the knife edge bearing, this one seemed to be of the nylon kind judging by it's matt look from the poor quality photos. Original SME's where all either steel or nylon.

The SME 3009 SII & 2 series are all aluminium tube/wand and prefer a steel knife edge bearing. The 3009 'R' tube/wand is steel. Steel tube/wand should benefit from a bronze knife edge bearing.
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    Oh. Nevermind.
    The guy who approached me for a trade, had put his SME 3009R up for sale in Denmark and when we were negotiating a trade, he had removed his advert and was requesting a higher trade value for his SME 3009R against my phono stage. He was the one who approached me. Oh well.
    What a time waster that #*!)% dude...
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The nylon knife edge bearing was introduced with the 'Improved' version of the 3009/II series, though some of the very early samples used a steel bearing to use up stock.

The use of a softer material for the knife edges was a decision made by Alastair Robertson-Aikman, who thought it improved the performance of the arm and preferred it from a sound quality point of view. So the arm for sale was likely to be fitted with a nylon bearing.

If you do acquire an SME arm fitted with a nylon bearing, it is a straightforward matter (if a little fiddly) to replace it with a metal one.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

I am going to receive the arm on Friday so I will keep all fingers crossed that it is fine. The bearing I will update if required.

I'm Peter.

I just found out that neither the counter-weight nor the anti-skating weight is original. Would have been great to know. Should have walked away as advised earlier in the thread.

So how bad is it? Please look at the photos and tell me about ALL fake parts. I will want to restore it to its original state.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast