+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SME 3009R: anything to watch out for when buying s/h?

I'm Peter.

Here is a photo of another SME 3009R:
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Peter.

Here is Alfred Kayser's rather conclusive reply,

Hi Peter –

That arm is as fake as xxxx!!!

The following items are clearly cheap xxx xxxx ... counterfeit garbage

The counter weight and the retaining screw are counterfeit

The rider weight and the retaining screw are counterfeit

The way rod (rider weight carrier) is counterfeit

The knife edge bearing is plastic with the cutoff back, it appears correct , the screws are not correct and appear to have removed and put back in many times.

This arm has been put together out of scrap parts

The bias weight guide assembly is correct for an “ R “ version arm (bias weight support wire)

I am unable to tell you if the counter weight stub is counterfeit as I can not see enough of it.

To be honest I think even the arm tube has been harvested from a 3009 Improved.

(...)

Peter if this is a EBay deal contact EBay and initiate a return at once based on the fact this

item is not as represented , do a charge back.

Do you have the EBay item number , I would love to see the original auction .

Yours Truly – Alfred Kayser

www.smetonearms.com

--------------------
    Thanks all. I have just written the seller and demanded that the trade is void and null so I give him back his "pukka" arm and cash, and I receive the Trilogy 907 back
    I'm Peter, Denmark: AD Audio Satchmo 3 Line Stage + EAR 516 + Quad ESL 57 + EAR 324P + PTP6 Acoustand L75 + Poul Ladegaard tonearm/Denon 103D + Fidelity Research FR24 mk ii/Decca Maroon + Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner + B&O Beocord 6500 Cassette Deck + Synology DS 415+("upgraded" to 8gb memory) cabled to Win10 PC - JRiver - Paul Pang USB-splitter cable - Linear 5v psu - Nuforce U192s - Line Magnetic 502CA DAC

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    Here is Alfred Kayser's rather conclusive reply,

Hi Peter –

That arm is as fake as xxxx!!!

The following items are clearly cheap xxx xxxx ... counterfeit garbage

The counter weight and the retaining screw are counterfeit

The rider weight and the retaining screw are counterfeit

The way rod (rider weight carrier) is counterfeit

The knife edge bearing is plastic with the cutoff back, it appears correct , the screws are not correct and appear to have removed and put back in many times.

This arm has been put together out of scrap parts

The bias weight guide assembly is correct for an “ R “ version arm (bias weight support wire)

I am unable to tell you if the counter weight stub is counterfeit as I can not see enough of it.

To be honest I think even the arm tube has been harvested from a 3009 Improved.

(...)

Peter if this is a EBay deal contact EBay and initiate a return at once based on the fact this

item is not as represented , do a charge back.

Do you have the EBay item number , I would love to see the original auction .

Yours Truly – Alfred Kayser

www.smetonearms.com

--------------------
    Thanks all. I have just written the seller and demanded that the trade is void and null so I give him back his "pukka" arm and cash, and I receive the Trilogy 907 back
    Blimey! That seems conclusive.
    Hard to believe that people can be bothered to create a 'Frankenstein' arm.

It would actually be interesting to hear how it performs!
    Maybe it's amazing!!

I hope you get the deal reversed...
    Do lets us all know
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Peter.

No chance of that unless I go through the police and court system. The guy became really riled up and forbade me to ever contact him again or use his photos etc. I think I wil have to send the arm to someone who knows SME like the back of their hands to make sure. SME UK wrote me that the parts looked like SME parts and if they were not, they were extremely well-made copies indeed.
    Last edited by Rosewind; 12-11-2019 at 16:52.

I'm Grant.

id be inclined to try it out and see if it actually plays well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

I will take it to a local expert and we will see if it plays well.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    No chance of that unless I go through the police and court system. The guy became really riled up and forbade me to ever contact him again or use his photos etc. I think I wil have to send the arm to someone who knows SME like the back of their hands to make sure. SME UK wrote me that the parts looked like SME parts and if they were not, they were extremely well-made copies indeed.
    Given his response to your well founded concerns, and if Marco agrees, I think you should share his trading details on here so that other members can avoid dealing with him...

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

It is NOT a trader or seller from the UK, nor on this forum. I bought it in Denmark from a private seller. So no reason for concern.

I'm Peter.

I have contacted an experienced Danish dealer near me, whom I communicated with about my EAR 516 and (now sold) 509s. He has an outspoken blog about kit on his website and has written a piece about the various iterations of the SME tonearm from 3009 to V (or so). I am sure that he wille be able to tell what is what. He will also be able to service it which will be a boon.

I'm Peter.

I have an appointment today at 15 o'clock (3 pm) with Poul who works at Dansk Audio Teknik in Aarhus, Denmark. He is a true PA and hifi veteran and has seen his share of SME arms over the years. He has/had an SME turntable with SME V tonearm, EAR 549s, Tannoy speakers, Quad ESL and ATC pres in his private stereo set-ups. I hope to be able to have a listen.

We will soon know his professional opinion.

----------
    You can see Poul's past set-ups here - the two articles are in Danish but please look at the photos. The first article is from 2014, the second from 2006:

https://lydogbillede.dk/nyheter/hjem...emmeanlaegget/
    http://hifi4all.dk/content/templates...=1226&zoneid=4

I suppose that for some people there will be a bit too much dust on that SME turntable in the second article, so be forewarned!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast