+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cartridge?

I'm Martin.

Default What cartridge?

Over the years, I have slowly been upgrading my turntable. It is a Thorens TD160 mk2 which I rebuilt with a teak plinth. The arm is a Rega RB250 which has Isokinetik’s stainless steel tail stub and underslung counter weight. Since rewiring with Cardas litz cable, I now feel that my 32 year old Ortofon VMS20 mk2 has now reached its limit.
    I want to stay with moving magnet as this would best suit my project Tube phono stage.
    I’ve been thinking about Audio Note IQ cartridges. Any advice?

I'm Charlie.

The Ortofon VMS was a surprisingly good cartridge. You might want to consider asking Expert Stylus to quote a retip with a paratrace. That would elevate the VMS to a different level
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    The Ortofon VMS was a surprisingly good cartridge. You might want to consider asking Expert Stylus to quote a retip with a paratrace. That would elevate the VMS to a different level
    I have a VMS 20 mk. 2, but thought replacement stylus assemblies were still available. Must admit, I've never heard of re-tipping a m.m. detachable stylus before; can't be cost effective, surely?

I have mine on a 12" Ace Anna (not having the best mass for this high compliance cart.) and I'm amazed (as are others) how good it is. I have a Transfig. Proteus on the other 12" PU7. For what it'll fetch, I'm just hanging on to it.

Martin, I'd guess that you're limited to m/magnets with that arm and I'm sure you'll get a good alternative to the Ortofon, but it'll be different rather than vastly better. There are some coils (l.o., of course) which may do it; the higher compliance ones like, possibly Lyra, but you're into a different price ball-park there.

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I have a VMS 20 mk. 2, but thought replacement stylus assemblies were still available. Must admit, I've never heard of re-tipping a m.m. detachable stylus before; can't be cost effective, surely?

I have mine on a 12" Ace Anna (not having the best mass for this high compliance cart.) and I'm amazed (as are others) how good it is. I have a Transfig. Proteus on the other 12" PU7. For what it'll fetch, I'm just hanging on to it.

Martin, I'd guess that you're limited to m/magnets with that arm and I'm sure you'll get a good alternative to the Ortofon, but it'll be different rather than vastly better. There are some coils (l.o., of course) which may do it; the higher compliance ones like, possibly Lyra, but you're into a different price ball-park there.
    Compared to buying an Ortofon 2m black or bronze, it is cost effective.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Compared to buying an Ortofon 2m black or bronze, it is cost effective.
    Strangely I was discussing with a friend that I might try out a Denon DL103R and he said I should really try out the Ortofon 2m Black as in his opinion it it superb VFM, very detailed and does give good bass if set up properly. Might be worth having a read of this review https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/o...m_black_e.html
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Adrian, one or more of the Denon coils is/was pretty low compliance; not, i.m.o., ideal for your 250, which was not really rated with l.o. m/coils anyway.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Adrian, one or more of the Denon coils is/was pretty low compliance; not, i.m.o., ideal for your 250, which was not really rated with l.o. m/coils anyway.

Hi Mike, did you mean 850? For the TK850M it says Suitable cartridge weight with head shell 17-35 gr, my HS-25 headshell is 12.1 grams without screws, and the DL103R is 8.1gr to it comes in at 21-22gr with screws I would say, is this not OK or am I mis-understanding something?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Gentlemen, I thank you.
    Much to consider. I must admit I hadn’t considered Re-tipping.

I'm Johan.

I recommend the elliptical stylus from JICO/Nagaoka. They are well made and sound very good, even when compared to nude mounted ones. They are bonded, and the price is very reasonable.

No need to swap the famous VMS 20 II

I'm Martin.

It looks like Ortofon do a replacement stylus for about £40.
    Might give that a try

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast