+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dac day tommorow.

I'm Gary.

Assuming they dont get on with valve amps either...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Assuming they dont get on with valve amps either...
    Probably not. I use a Croft 7 power amp and as you know there's a valve or two in there.

Measurably my system probably stinks. But put mine up against a perfect measuring system and we will see who has the last laugh .

Just like putting your DAC against a technically excellent and therefore better DAC according to ASR - the super cheap Topping - against which you will have the last laugh too (I hope!).

Actually that's not a bad plan! Take it to the **extremes** - a system measuring badly (mine, or perhaps yours) against a cheap but perfect measuring counterpart.

Anyway - lets get back on track - enjoy your upgrade.

I'm Edward.

I plugged in a dac-in-the-box (probably over 20 years old now) the other day. Boy did it sound sweet. Probably measures shite.

I've been lusting after a PS direct stream dac for ages so looking forward to reading about your experience Gaz of the upgrade.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I plugged in a dac-in-the-box (probably over 20 years old now) the other day. Boy did it sound sweet. Probably measures shite.

I've been lusting after a PS direct stream dac for ages so looking forward to reading about your experience Gaz of the upgrade.
    I came across my old audio alchamy dac. A dde v1. 0. Was a nice dac. Forgot I still had it. Its been put at door of shed to come into house with a beresford convertor.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

RE: The Directstream, the issue is that the ASR guys don't even measure it properly, but use an arbitrary set of metrics to show (deliberately misleading) results.
    The Directstream does its thing in a very different way to other dacs, they ain't even taking that into account.

The main guy there has been shown to have an agenda at various times, spouting all sorts of stuff and getting a bit rude to those that disagree.
    A forum with an agenda, who'da thunk it?
    Its silly nonsense and all a bit unfortunate.

Who cares really, let people believe what they wanna believe.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    Probably not. I use a Croft 7 power amp and as you know there's a valve or two in there.

Measurably my system probably stinks. But put mine up against a perfect measuring system and we will see who has the last laugh .

Just like putting your DAC against a technically excellent and therefore better DAC according to ASR - the super cheap Topping - against which you will have the last laugh too (I hope!).

Actually that's not a bad plan! Take it to the **extremes** - a system measuring badly (mine, or perhaps yours) against a cheap but perfect measuring counterpart.

Anyway - lets get back on track - enjoy your upgrade.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-10-2019 at 17:17.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Anyway...moving on..

Firmware installed, and jeez..I have indeed got myself a new Dac!
    Biggest jump in performance between firmwares yet, and by a country mile the best the Dacs ever sounded.

It just sounds “right”..digital, analogue whatever doesn’t matter.
    Big reaction thread over on PS Audio forums, they are raving about it.

happy bunny here, a helluva upgrade.

Wow.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Great news mate.. Always pleasing to get a free result
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Thanks Grant.
    Troops over before Chrimbo for sure at a time that suits us all.

Been kinda holding off as the kit was always changing, but settled down now.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 04-10-2019 at 04:08.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Anyway...moving on..

Firmware installed, and jeez..I have indeed got myself a new Dac!
    Biggest jump in performance between firmwares yet, and by a country mile the best the Dacs ever sounded.

It just sounds “right”..digital, analogue whatever doesn’t matter.
    Big reaction thread over on PS Audio forums, they are raving about it.

happy bunny here, a helluva upgrade.

Wow.
    Look here

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/synchronicity/

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Thanks Lawrence
    I'll take a look-see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Look here

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/synchronicity/

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123