+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Dac day tommorow.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    what model is your one gaz again.??
    Grant,
    Its the big daddy, the Directstream Snr.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Grant,
    Its the big daddy, the Directstream Snr.
    Cheers. Nice machine.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Think you'll like how it sounds when your over mate.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Sure I will. Whole set up has changed
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Well, it’ll sound like one anyway!

Next upgrade for the FPGA firmware for my PS Audio Directstream drops tommorow.
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/ds-...wmass-upgrade/

This’ll be the third time the Dac’s firmwares been upgraded since I took ownership of it, and each time it’s been a significant step up.
    For a Company to continually support and provide free upgrades to a product it released 5 years ago is pretty great.
    A big factor in why I picked one up in fact.

Will install it tommorow evening, just a shame works gonna get in the way during the day...damn.
    There's someone on PFM interested in your cartridge @Gazjam

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...x2-mk2.230409/

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I don't know about the DirectStream DAC - but that SPS DAC 3 you own as indicated in your signature kicks arse! I have one in the context of a revealing system and it's brilliant!

If you ever think about changing it "don't". It may not look like much (which is why many decide to move on) but SQ wise it's so open and musical <-- yet so affordable!

I'm Chris.

Well, it’ll sound like one anyway!

Next upgrade for the FPGA firmware for my PS Audio Directstream drops tommorow.
    https://www.psaudio.com/products/ds-...wmass-upgrade/

... I am please that by actually "listening" to a product rather than relying on measurements from audio science review based on another DAC from PS Audio (see link below) reporting that: "As a general DAC, the PS Audio NuWave is disappointing as you can get a number of audio DACs at a fraction of its price that outperform it".

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...wave-dac.9187/

I'm Gary.

Oh right, I hadn't been on there in a while.
    Thanks for the heads up.

And replied to.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    There's someone on PFM interested in your cartridge @Gazjam

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...x2-mk2.230409/
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Yeah, I've been keeping up to date on that one....
    Stay away from outfits like ASR, bias and agenda's are rife.

My response would always be... "Outperform it in what way exactly?"

Not sure what those guys think the purpose of listening to music on hifi systems is to be honest.
    Each to their own of course, they should stop flouting opinions (measurements matter most) as fact though.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    ... I am please that by actually "listening" to a product rather than relying on measurements from audio science review based on another DAC from PS Audio (see link below) reporting that: "As a general DAC, the PS Audio NuWave is disappointing as you can get a number of audio DACs at a fraction of its price that outperform it".
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...wave-dac.9187/
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Chris.

Yeah, I've been keeping up to date on that one....
    Stay away from outfits like ASR, bias and agenda's are rife.

My response would always be... "Outperform it in what way exactly?"
    I would guess they would reply - outperform it technically!

I would imagine if they measured my French SPS DAC 3 which uses and old TDA 1543 DAC, that would measure poorly compared to modern DAC chips too - but it sounds excellent.

The same could be said for other manufacturers using old 80's chips like Audionote and more recently Vertex with their £10,000 Alethia DAC (the latter again using a lowly 80's TDA 1543).

According to ASR - Chord consistently to measure excellently however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast