+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SME IV versus Audio Origami PU7

I'm Mike.

NARI,

Thank you for that; far from being boring, it was quite enlightening, as I'm no metallurgist ! It may well be, then, that my 12" chromed PU7 has a heavier eff. mass than I'd thought. Certainly, my Urushi Vermillion (which has been in a drawer for 2 years!!!!) much prefers my PU7 than the unipivot 12" Ace Anna. I'd put this down to the bearing differences but the Ks do prefer heavier arms, so maybe that's the reason. My previous Benz Ebony (with a bit more compliance) sounded good in both arms, albeit different.

Anal or analgesic? Maybe, but fascinating to a vinyl aficionado.

I'm Nari.

Hi Mike

Thank you

The brass arm pipe will certainly doing its magic too brass is a kinder sounding material overall than aluminium as is stainless, I have listened to materials and been on several listening panels where one could hear clearly the differences of the construction and material. Tonearms are very complex beasts, they are dealing with so many factors.

I recently had an older 3012 r plated in crome over the stainless steel my friend at unique audio helped me on this one, it was shocking to hear the difference.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I recently had an older 3012 r plated in crome over the stainless steel it was shocking to hear the difference.
    HI Nari,
    and what was the conclusion to that particular mod?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    HI Nari,
    and what was the conclusion to that particular mod?
    I was told there was 20 microns of copper and 5 microns chrome and 7 microns of chrome, so there is quite a mix of material each having there own character as each is changing the resonances. The copper is the sofest material then the nickel and chrome is hardest. I found it improved the solidity greatly of the arm massively the arm had greater focus it allowed me to hear deeper in the recordings with more weight to the sound the soundstage was incredible.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Mike.

Hi Mike

Thank you

My friend at Unique Audio helped me on this one, it was shocking to hear the difference.
    I still remember, in a room full of esoteric hifi at Scalford a few years ago, being approached by a friendly chap who seemed to know all about me. Must admit, I was a bit taken back, as I'd had no dealings with Unique Audio, which I think he ran. Thought he was psychic ! Whatever, he knew his upmarket audio and I think he might have had the whole shop there ! His name currently escapes me but I had heard of him.

I'm Peter.

I agree I would be looking at a 12 inch sme. The 312s and series V/12 are chalk and cheese the 312s due to its static balance is more dynamic and open sounding a bit like the pu7 12" but with a solid dynamic bass, the series v-12 is darker and richer with and slightly rounder bass. The one i like but have to only buy NOS and almost impossible to source were the last of the 312 aluminium arm tube model, with upgraded bearings this is a magnificent arm indeed it has alot of the great qualities of the classic 3012R but with far greater scale and sense of control with sheer life much nicer than any of the arms mentioned. I might know where one is available.
    So as chance would have it, and I’m sure you guys all know about this, a V12 has appeared in the classifieds. Obviously it’s well above the cost of the IV which I could get, and tbh I’m not sure I could stretch that far, up is this really a genuine alternative? Still seems to lack an azimuth adjustment though which I certainly found useful on my AO, even if only from an OCD viewpoint!

I'm Mike.

It's still an SME and has SME tonal characteristics, though being 12", not as up-front and 'neutral' (sterile?) as the Five. It's also probably a little lighter at 12g eff. mass than your PU7; okay if you stick to medium/higher compliance coils. I looked for one for my Dais (as I had a Five beforehand) but none was available, so went for the chrome PU7; glad I did, and think it's cosmetically as striking as the V12.

Have never needed azimuth adj. on any of my fixed head-shell arms (at least 4/5 since the early eighties). If a real 'on the fly' facility was available, as on the Reed 3P, e.g., I might be tempted to experiment, but doubt it would fixate me for more than a week or two. If the arm mount is correct and the cart' fixing correct, why would azimuth be out? Even if it were, a shim in either position should suffice; crude, but possible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12