View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 11.11%
  • 2/10

1 11.11%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

3 33.33%
  • 6/10

1 11.11%
  • 7/10

1 11.11%
  • 8/10

2 22.22%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club, October, 2019: Bruce Springsteen - 'We Shall Overcome'

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The YouTube link provided only plays the first track and not the whole album, so I had to listen to the tracks piecemeal and not necessarily in the correct order of the play list. In fact I'm not even sure I listened to all thirteen tracks!

That said, I quite liked the album: sort of Dubliners meets zydeco meets Appalachian banjo pickin', with Bruce trying to sound at times like Bob Dylan!

Whilst admiring the enthusiasm and skill of the players, on some of the tracks I quickly became bored. But some others were a complete joy.

Bit of a curate's egg - an interesting album and worth repeated listening, but at the moment I'll give it 6/10.

Good choice Grant - just the sort of thing we like to see on the Album Club.
    i picked because it would be uncomfortable for most. Its not every day listening for me either although ive listened to it a lot lately before choosing it.
    For me, i could have went for something more folk would like but i felt as a mod, i should hit hard lol.
    Im glad some folk have liked the odd track as its a very good album, even tho its of a style not listened to so much now.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

A bit of a mixed bag. Some tracks were pretty good but others weren't. I may have been a bit harsh giving it 5/10 but I struggled to get through the whole album on second listening.

I'm Grant.

Find it amazing people gave this a 1 and a 2..
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I agree - but I chose to make the poll anonymous so as to encourage voting.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Doesn't matter as to who, just find it hard to imagine such great musicianship being so harshly judged, irrelevant of your taste.
    Bruce will not be pleased
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Loz.

Sorry I'm a bit too late to vote on this one. As a standalone listen I rather enjoyed it. But doubt I would listen to it again. Seeing it live could be fun but ultimately not my kind of thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12