+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Passive Pre Amp Build.

Bigman80 Guest

Rca sockets turned up too. Not solid gold like Ollies but 24c gold plated and should do the trick nicley..

Solid gold aint that great :lol

Anyone after cheap gold plated rca sockets should take a look at 'that's audio' on ebay. Got 3 pairs for £8 delivered. Good value in my book.

I have bought a lot of RCA sockets and sometimes (not in this case I presume) they are way off spec. The cheapies are usually undersize on the OD and oversized on the ID, giving the impression of a tight fit but they can be problematic. That's why I only buy from a trusted source who offer the tight tolerance build quality and the materials I want. It's not just because they sound better

I'm Paul.

Totally agree about being fit for purpose. It don't matter matter how cheap they are if they don't work properly.

I'll check mine tonight actually before I start soldering.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Totally agree about being fit for purpose. It don't matter matter how cheap they are if they don't work properly.

I'll check mine tonight actually before I start soldering.

Always wise but I think I bought some of those a while back and they were OK.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Rca sockets turned up too. Not solid gold like Ollies but 24c gold plated and should do the trick nicley..

Anyone after cheap gold plated rca sockets should take a look at 'that's audio' on ebay. Got 3 pairs for £8 delivered. Good value in my book.

I have used these a lot without any problems.

I'm Paul.

Got it all wired up at the weekend and to say it wasn't easy would be an understatement!

The combination of the small back panel and my crappy little soldering iron (it just doesn't maintain a constant heat) = rough old joints that dont look too pretty but are at least strong.

Another thing I didnt consider was the mounting hole on the front panel. It was too small for the shaft of my attenuator so I had to drill a bigger one. No big deal but not having the right metal drill bit meant a trip to the DIY store.

A test outside the box showed it all worked with no hum, imbalance or cross talk I could detect. A longer and more thorough test is required though to be satisfied

A couple of things of note is how notchy (stiff) the steps are on the Attenuator. I think this is a good thing as this will only ever get loser over time.

I may have made my 2 coax lengths to and from the Attenuator 3 or 4cm too long which meant I had to shove it inside the box and made me feel I was stressing the joints more than I would like. This is where using standard hook up wire may be more to your liking if building one yourself. I may have to address this before it causes a problem.

Oh one final thought. The case from aliexpress can't be recommended enough it arrived quickly with parts you might not expect (iec socket, toggle switch, all screws and bolts and even some rubber feet)

Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

Bigman80 Guest

Well, that soldering ain't pretty but if your iron isn't getting hit enough, it's understandable.

Invest in a decent one and redo at a later date.

What you don't want is a joint breaking and
    That loud buzz blowing a driver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234