+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member based in Hong Kong

I'm Ben.

Default New member based in Hong Kong

Hello all,

I'm from the UK originally, now living in Hong Kong. Have joined this forum as after a bit of a hiatus due to family commitments, my interest in Hi-Fi equipment has definitely returned.

My current core system is about 15 years old, purchased in my early 20's. I still really like the way it sounds but interested in how modern equipment will sound in comparison.

CD Player: Arcam CD72
    Amp: Marantz PM7200 (run in class A mode)
    Speakers: Quad 11L
    Streamer: Sonos Connect.

I've recently subscribed to Tidal and the first priority for me is to replace the Sonos Connect with a better quality product. Trying to do as much background research on streamers, DACs etc. I'm a technically minded person but I'm still finding it a little confusing.

Would also like to get all of my CDs ripped into FLAC. Realised the other day that I don't have a computer at home with a CD drive. So will need to look at options around that.

Looking forward to learning from the wealth of experience on here and very likely getting tempted to buy some new equipment!

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Ben, and welcome to AoS. You can get USB CD drives on Amazon for a tenner that will do the trick no problem, so don't let that put you off. Having said that, I ripped my 3,500 odd CD's to FLAC but rarely play them now with Tidal and Spotify subscriptions... If you have decent broadband speed, may not be worth the bother... Whatever, hope you enjoy the forum.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Geoff.

Hello Ben. Welcome to AOS.

If you want to rip CD's you can get an external 'plug & play' USB CD drive cheaply that may suit your needs.

Anyway, join in and chat with everybody, it's a friendly place.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Hibster_2000 Guest

Personally, I would get a USB Blu-Ray writer so that once you have created all your FLAC files, you can back them up, so that you only have to go through this relatively tedious process once.

I put all my FLAC files on an m-disc, so they are a good back-up for my lifetime.
    Normal CD, DVD and Blu-Ray writable discs last around 10 years, apparently.

I'm Ben.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the suggestions on external USB based drives for the purpose of ripping my CD collection to FLAC. The reason I'm considering doing it is there are sections of my collection that I can't find on Tidal or Qobuz. CDs produced by venues such as Fabric and the Notting Hill Arts Club were only produced in limited runs and aren't available to stream or buy any more.

I'm Geoff.

Well if you're buying a CD drive, make sure it is 'plug & play', otherwise it will come with an installation disc, which of course you won't be able to use without an existing CD drive installed.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

I've got an Innuos Zen which is much faster than a PC in my experience. My early version gives you no control over the track/album data but later versions may do.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Ben,

Sorry I can't help you with ripping options as I'm so 'old school' (read neo-Luddite ) I still put up with thousands of LPs and CDs.

Nice system by the way. What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast