+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firebottle hybrid valve monos

I'm Martin.

Default Firebottle hybrid valve monos

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3] A domestic downsize now looms and I must rationalise my kit.
    So very reluctantly I offer for sale these Firebottle Valve Monos.
    They were built by Alan Firebottle who is well known and highly regarded on this forum

They combine the best of valve and solid state and uses a regulated high tension supply powering a super linear triode gain stage to drive a low impedance mosfet output stage.
    This gives a very natural sound

Valves. PC88 triode and it comes with a set of Mullards as well as a pair of Telefunkens which some might prefer.

Output 65 watts RMS into 8 ohms

Now offered at a bargain price

£775.00 collected

Apologies and acknowledgement to Alan for paraphrasing his info
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Phil.

beautiful amps which sound very lovely with a schitt freya or schiit saga .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

Bigman80 Guest

What a lot of folk dont realise, is that these are a type of OTL, I can't remember exactly what Alan said to me but they sounded incredibly similar to his big OTL amp and as anyone who heard it will tell you, its wonderful.

Had the original demo pair of these and they were better than the price suggests.

Really enjoyable amps, GLWS.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What a lot of folk dont realise, is that these are a type of OTL, I can't remember exactly what Alan said to me but they sounded incredibly similar to his big OTL amp and as anyone who heard it will tell you, its wonderful.

Had the original demo pair of these and they were better than the price suggests.

Really enjoyable amps, GLWS.
    OTL because they have transistors for the output stage so dont need transformers. Different animal to an OTL valve amp. GLWS, would of been on my want list if I hadnt just purchased some monoblocks!
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Martin.

Thanks Guys.........but what is OTL ?
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    Thanks Guys.........but what is OTL ?
    Output Transformer Less. Valves connected direct, one of the best amps I have ever heard in my life was one of these but they are expensive as they need lots of valves. Read expensive.
    Modified SB Receiver, SB Touch, GustardX16 DAC, Mitchell Alecto Mk2 Upgraded, DCB1 hot rod with BTFSystems LDR and input board, Club27 Kurt Mk2 with crossover upgrade and Laquor pack, Tannoy XT6F, IPL S2TLK CD3, Pioneer PL550 (thanks Andrew) Various TDA1541 CDP's, too much shit I dont use to list.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Output Transformer Less. Valves connected direct, one of the best amps I have ever heard in my life was one of these but they are expensive as they need lots of valves. Read expensive.
    But in this case the output devices are MOSFETs so what does OTL mean in this context?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    But in this case the output devices are MOSFETs so what does OTL mean in this context?

These amplifiers are best described as being a hybrid design, using MOSFET output devices driven by a valve. Therefore although they do not use an output transformer, the term OTL does not really apply to these specific amplifier designs; anymore that it would apply to any other amplifier design using solid state output devices.

(Incidently there are a very few solid-state amplifiers that do use an output transformer: the Quad 510 monoblocks are one such.)
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post

I would not use the term OTL in this context, I was just trying to expand a little on what Oliver said, that Mr Firebottle said they were like an OTL, as I say, completely different animal, the man himself should chime in and explain how they are like an OTL. MOSFETs are meant to be the closest sounding device to a valve and they can be DC coupled to the speaker, a lot of designs do this, I've built and owned a few and I seem to prefer them. Most have at the very least an inductor and a resistor before the speaker outputs to prevent oscillation, depends on the speaker whether that happens and some have a Zobel network, maybe Alan's have nothing, Maybe that's the context Oliver was remembering.

I'm Alan.

There may have been a little more read into the 'OTL like' term, they are certainly OTL like in sound quality.
    As said above the Fets are the most valve like semiconductor but make for a simpler amplifier than using a valve output sage.
    OTL valve amps generally have quite complex power supply circuitry to accommodate all the necessary biasing.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast