+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft 25R upgrade advice please

I'm Karl.

Default Croft 25R upgrade advice please

I cant make any informed recommendations on ‘upgrades’ as such as i bought my 25R and 7R monoblocks as they are , however, the previous owner had it upgraded from standard 25R to having the linestage of the 25RS (with 12BH7a valve installed but without seperate power supply) and all i can say is that it is end game stuff for most of us and not a bank breaker.

The next upgrade i have asked Glenn about is the ‘full monty’ version which goes beyond RS level using the seperate power supply, but better resistors and coupling caps etc etc. This upgrade is said to give performance of amps in the £15,000 area

This is the only option for me now as i dont feel that going to RS would give me enough bang for buck (around a grand) to add a seperate power supply. The linestage upgrades should give you most of the performance of the full blown RS.

As James has said ,best to check with Glenn as each situation is different but the ballpark for the full monty work on my already upgraded 25R was around 1500 to give you a rough idea. The linestgae upgrades would be much less id have thought?

Cheers

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigbird; 01-10-2019 at 06:39.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Ian.

Thanks once more for the input each. I've decided to be stepped in my approach and go for the seperate PSU option and then consider things from there. I mean c'mon, you get another box . I'll report back - it goes towards the end of next week. At this level I'm not expecting 'night and day' or 'lifting of veils', indeed it's possible that significantly improving the 25R is not a realistic undertaking without serious investment.

Cheers, Ian.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    Thanks once more for the input each. I've decided to be stepped in my approach and go for the seperate PSU option and then consider things from there. I mean c'mon, you get another box . I'll report back - it goes towards the end of next week. At this level I'm not expecting 'night and day' or 'lifting of veils', indeed it's possible that significantly improving the 25R is not a realistic undertaking without serious investment.

Cheers, Ian.
    Hi Ian
    My Tom Evans upgraded Pioneer A300R is on its way back to me as I type so if you were somehow able to get “oop north” you could borrow my 25RS before you pull the trigger if that would help.
    Steve

Always a little further

I'm Ian.

I've PM'd you Stephen .

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    I've PM'd you Stephen .
    Responded

Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread