+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All change chez moi

I'm Lawrence.

Default All change chez moi

Well half change anyway, new power amp and speakers. Saw some classic 80s gear for sale and couldn't resist it.

The TDL Studios are very early, they don't have the usual biwire terminals. I was pleasantly surprised when I measured them and looked them up to find they were Studio 2s not the 1s I first thought. They needed a bit of oiling on the cabinet but otherwise in very good condition.

The MF Pre doesn't work, I need to see what's going on. The P170 had a broken speaker socket, I dug around and found a set of 4 half decent ones and just replaced the lot. It's sounding very nice indeed with my Xiang Sheng valve pre. I think it's one of Tim de P's designs and operates in class A for the first few watts (20 claimed but I always take Anthony Michaelson's claims of this period with a pinch of salt - the A1 was sold as a Class A amp after all!!).

All in all I'm very happy tonight

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Nice. Good score there.

I like the 'unusual' cable layout.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Nice score indeed!

Lovely stuff.

I'm Lawrence.

Couldn't see anything wrong inside the pre so plugged it in and it works fine, it's just the LED that doesn't work . It has two output options, the second is buffered, nice touch

Bit late for critical listening tonight. I have a feeling from a brief listen that it's one of those components that sounds perfectly fine until you start A-B-ing it and then you realise it's not as transparent or revealing as some others.

But if it sounds musical hey who cares. I'm trying to get off that train.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice. Good score there.

I like the 'unusual' cable layout.
    Do you mean the coiled up snake on the left? That's the problem with having 2 5m runs and one speaker only 1m from the amp

I'm Shane.

Good to see some classic TDL's still being used.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Lawrence.

Next step is to look at the XOs and maybe replace the caps. Might look into refreshing the ferrofluid in the tweeters too.

I'm James.

I like MF amps. Had the Synthesis in the 80s 70 watt integrated. Absolute beast, think it ran in Class A?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Real old school MF, like it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I like MF amps. Had the Synthesis in the 80s 70 watt integrated. Absolute beast, think it ran in Class A?
    Might be class a for a few watts I think it only had a small heatsink on the back. Looked nice in black perspex though, especially if the red writing lit up like my old "The Preamp".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast