+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All change chez moi

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Might be class a for a few watts I think it only had a small heatsink on the back. Looked nice in black perspex though, especially if the red writing lit up like my old "The Preamp".

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Yes black perspex and lit up in red writing. Looked the biz!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Next step is to look at the XOs and maybe replace the caps. Might look into refreshing the ferrofluid in the tweeters too.

I've heard a pair of re-capped / refurbed TDLs from that era. Prepare to be stunned. You know that transparency that you suspect you is missing? You'll be hearing it by the bucketful.
    Last edited by jandl100; 29-09-2019 at 09:30.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've heard a pair of re-capped / refurbed TDLs from that era. Prepare to be stunned. You know that transparency that you suspect you are missing? You'll be hearing it by the bucketful.
    Thanks Jerry good to know. Better get inside to check out the crossovers then

I'm Lawrence.

Just an update. Got the multimeter out to see why the led in the pre wasn't working. Turned out the fuse in the back wasn't in properly and the voltage on the amp was low. Strange it worked before but it sounds a lot better now

I'm Lawrence.

It's been a while and, perhaps not surprisingly, a few things have changed

I went through some Celestion A2s and Kef Reference Model 2s and 3s before ending up with these ones I bought a few months ago that I thought were my keepers until a couple of weeks ago.

I'm Lawrence.

Haven't updated here for a while. Just got myself some little Rega Juras. They are just a little dominated by my Amphions!

Sound wise I'm very impressed, musical is the word. No hint of brightness or edge to the treble as some have said online. I guess that's just down to the rest of the system and mine suits them just fine.

They sound particularity nice at low levels, I often struggle to find a speaker I can play quietly at night.

I can tell that the port contributes quite a lot to the bass, but then I've been rather spoiled for a while now by the Amphion's sealed cabinet 12" bass units

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Just stuffed the ports with flannels (they're too big for socks, nearly lost one!) and I'm rather surprised that the balance wasn't tipped too far to the HF. In fact they sound very good this way, I'm really surprised they don't get more mention online, they really are very nice speakers.

Also got me thinking I've got my system sounding pretty good now, if it can make these sound as nice as they do

I'm Paul.

I had a pair of Juras in the pale wood finish about three years ago.
    Sometimes I wish I'd never let them go and they're the only speakers I can say that about.

You're right about the musicality, but more than that they're the only speakers I've had that made bass sound like music rather than just a noise, if that makes sense.
    I use bookshelf speakers with a sub these days - it's quite a small room - and it's a great set-up which I'm very pleased with (and I should also update my system thread) but the Regas were the only things that filled the entire spectrum of sound properly on their own.

I'm really glad a mate of mine was so impressed he bought a pair too, so I can still get a fix if I need it.

Good luck finding a wood pair
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Paul they are very nice but I've put them to one side as I prefer my Amphions overall. But there's still something addictive about them...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12