+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sanding birch ply.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Metlor View Post
    A router with a profile cutter (a bearing guide above the bit) will probably give the most accurate finish.
    You do need a straight edge to follow thought.

Clamp the straight edge on top the board you want to finish, but set it back a mm or so, the bearing runs against the straight edge whilst the cutter trims the edge of the board below.
    Yes, I agree and use this method often - particularly where complex curves need to be recreated (though I use an inverted router which makes life slightly easier, but makes no difference to the finish).
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

I have to find a way of cutting mitred ends on long panels using a short table saw. It will require some thought, but I'll do it one way or another .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

I use 6 inch sticky sanding pads different grit grade used for car paint etc , then use a long plane screw the blade up and stick the sanding discs to the side , lye the plane flat on a bench with the wood you want to get straight you can clamp the wood , ive done this with 40mm solid oak to straiten it up
    hope this helps phil.
    Phil.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Check out my latest speaker build using panels of birch ply.
    All were cut using a hand saw and finished on a belt sander with 80 grit fitted. Dead straight and true, no gaps in those joints.
    I used a straight edge and builders square to check as I went.
    http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Imag...ev_Cabinet.pdf

I tried a circular saw on the first cut, it ripped it up, I was amazed how good I got with a hand saw, in terms of straight and square.
    Fabulous work - like the use of layers to avoid tedious router stuff

Must admit I'm a great fan of the handsaw approach nowadays - and you get plenty of exercise .....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123