+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Semi Active upgrade of the Yamaha NS1000

I'm shahrin.

Default Semi Active upgrade of the Yamaha NS1000

I've been a huge fan of the NS 1000, admiring it as a teenager, and buying my first pair 7 years ago.
    I bought a second pair last year. It was in better condition, being newer (serial numbers suggesting early 90s).
    The inevitable AB test showed that the newer speaker sounded just a little better.
    I thought the drivers in the old pair were in good condition and surmised that the (slightly) inferior sound quality of older pair was probably due to degradation of
    crossover components.
    I had followed a thread by Qwin(Ken) that he started a couple of years ago as he experimented with actively drive of the NS1000.
    I revisited the thread to find, somewhat disappointingly, that it ended with recommendations for refurbishment/upgrade of the components in the
    complex three-way passive Yam crossover.
    I PMed Ken and asked for his views on active drive, DSP and the subwoofer option.
    Well he hadnt abandoned active drive at all but had come up with a semi active solution that would improve bass especially, while
    retaining the character of the NS1000 ie sealed box / acoustic suspension design.

He explained that DSP was not the way to go unless one was using only digital sources as there were too many A to D and D to A steps.

He got me interested in this semi-active drive that would improve not just the low frequency performance of the speaker but also the mids and highs.
    Ken had done his homework with mics and freq analyses and had identified a modern woofer that would replace the venerable Yam woofer.
    We got into a long discussion and I decided to embark on this project which required these new woofers from Scanspeak, new cabinets,
    a new analog active crossover, and 2 way passive crossovers using premium components.

The 2 way active drive was necessary as it would facilitate direct drive of the Scanspeak woofers which are 4 ohm and not very sensitive.
    The Yam mids and tweets are 8 ohm, are more sensitive (about 93dB/watt) and would be handled by a 2 way passive XO derived from the original design.
    ie crossing over at 6000Hz

This pagefrom Kens website explains the basis of the drive .
    http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/YamRev_HTML/Yamrev_02.html

2 way 500Hz Linkwitz Riley analogue Active Cross over is the heart of the system.
    Ken had identified this device , designed by Rod Elliot of Australia, and assembled as a kit .
    The predetermined XO freq, in our case 500Hz, is achieved by selecting the correct values of crossover resistors and capacitors.

Passive XOs were assembled on acrylic boards using rather expensive Jantzen Superior Z-capacitors and inductors
    I used components nearly identical to Ken's.

Scanspeak 30W/4558TOO: 4 ohm, sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 89dB
    Substantial things these - they are used in commercially built subwoofers
    They work best in a 55L sealed box

I built cabs to Ken s design. Base dimensions are similar to the NS1000 cabinets but they are 13 cm taller.
    The panels are MDF on the outside , ply on the inside.
    On my build i used 16 mm MDF and 12mm Malaysian 'marine' ply bonded with adhesive.
    There is a substantial inner brace, and the whole thing is bonded together into a rigid box.
    When I had done all the panels and sanded bits so that they all fitted nicely it was time for the assembly.
    Each cab a frantic 4 minutes of glue slopped on, excess wiped off,whacks with rubber mallet, quick fastening of straps quickly tightened to compress the thing together.

I had a lot of help for the whole project. Ken and i must have exchanged well over 100 emails.
    I had friends help with sourcing timber, finishing them after i had veneered ( a first for me) the cabs,
    and I had help with the electronics and preparation of the aluminium chassies for the electronic cross XOs.
    Oh and I made up 2 pairs of speakers ie double of everything. The other set for my pal Ranjit who had blind faith in me who had previously only done some basic
    soldering, not ever done veneering before.
    The project consumed me for over 6 months. All done now.

I use a Nak CA5 preamp, pre out goes to the eXO, High Pass ie >500Hz goes to the power amp section of Sansui AU111 (abt 45 wpc push pull 6L6GC amp) that feed the tweeters and midranges via the passive XO (inside the cabs)
    Low Pass (<500Hz) goes to Nak PA7 amp that feeds the woofers directly.
    The 'balance' between thw High Pass and Low Pass is adjusted using variable pots for Rt and Lt channels on the eXO.
    Depending on the relative Gains of the power amps the either the High or the Low Pass needs turning down.
    On my set up the sound was pretty bad until i figured out that the Low Pass pots had to be turned down several turns (they are 20 turn variable pots) . Then things begin to sound nice.
    Fine tune - just using my ears - to get things just right.
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm shahrin.

Default pics of build

A few more pics of build
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm shahrin.

I ve been enjoying these new speakers for abt 4 weeks now.
    I hauled up the unadulterated newer NS1000 up from their new AV duties downstairs (!) for a comparison with the new ones.

My Nak CA5 has 2 pairs of pre-outs so i have the second outputs plugged into one of 2 power amps; power amp section of Sansui AU9500 or a cheapo but powerful TPA3255 chip amp. (Its powered by a 48V 600watt switching PSU and has plenty of oomph). The old sansui is no slouch.

So how do they compare?

For some reason I cant seem to upload any more images - i have the NS1000s sitting outside the new semi active big ones.

I was actually struck by how good the standard NS1000 sound - no wonder really!

The mids and highs on the New speakers are a wee bit smoother than on NS1000.
    It is in the lower register that things are better too.
    Its not just for the extra oomph - there is the reserve available of going a bit lower lower.
    Fab for double basses, electronic bass, tympani .
    The big orchestral works are impressive - 'Hard to Starboard' from Titanic soundtrack CD, Holst's Jupiter also Hans Zimmer movie soundtracks are standout tracks.
    Listening to Steven Wilson - To the Bone - now, very nice
    The delivery of complex tracks played loud seems less strenuous task.

My pal Ranjit uses an Exposure pre amp and 100 w monobloks to drive the Highs , and uses an Adcom poweramp to drive the Scanspeaks.
    He is delighted.

Thanks v much Ken.
    Last edited by drSM; 28-09-2019 at 02:15.

I'm Ken.

Shahrin - I've posted the pictures you sent me below.
    Glad you and Ranjit are enjoying the modifications.

I'm shahrin.

Ta Ken, for some reason i could not post em.
    yes pics of NS1000M vs Ken's semi active mod in v messy room.

I'm Edward.

Hi Sharin

Ken pointed me to this thread which I missed before.

Very very impressed with your end result, particularly the veneering. Worldclass.

Good to hear that the sound quality has met your expectations.

A year ago I dabbled a bit in an active x-over setup which Ken helped me on a bit as well. Main difference in mine was it all digital source and x-overs implemented fully in the digital domain outputting to a multi-channel dac and then a multi-channel amp driving the 6 drivers (2*3) directly. Immense lift in sq. Here is the thread I did on it.

Please do keep posting on your thoughts of your (and Ranjit's) setup and sound.

Also contact a mod here to sort out why you can't seem to post pictures.

E
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alan.

Fantastic work there, well done.

I'm shahrin.

Thank you Alan and Edward
    It was a leap of faith in Ken, and I think Ranjit said 'will u make me a pair too?' just to shut me up.
    It was fun but boy did it occupy my mind - so many parts to it !
    The veneering was a journey in itself. I opted for the wrong method ( hammer hide glue) for the type of veneer i chose(paper backed) .
    Had to scrape it off and had to use what i was trying to avoid - contact cement . we get only the messy type here (not the thixotropic) .
    and i hadnt done any of this before.
    I must declare I had help with the finishing tho.
    But yes pleased with the result.
    I look forward to reading yr thread Edward.

+ Reply to Thread