+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visit to Radford Revival

I'm Alan.

Default Visit to Radford Revival

Well today was a special day. Being in Cornwall early for another event I arranged to call in at Radford Revival and I am pleased that I did.

It was a little difficult to find, as they are rather tucked away in the middle of nowhere, but the welcome couldn't have been warmer.
    Now here's my bad for thinking that Steve and Will were brothers (Steve looks nothing like his true age) when in actual fact it is father and son.

There is a third member of the family with four legs, namely Billy the cross Serval cat. What a magnificent animal with superb marbleing to his coat.

The talk rapidly got on to valve amplifiers, quelle supris, with a tour of the workshop and particularly the prototype 100W valve monoblock.
    Now this is one amazing design, any output valve including EL34 and all the KT series can be used without any adjustment for biasing. It is completely automatic and exceedingly accurate, the first real plug and play 100W valve amplifier.

Will played some music through it and the grip and control of the speaker was astounding.
    I have complimented Will on his expertise and professional approach to design before, but to see it in the flesh is most gratifying.
    These monoblocks should be available towards the end of the year or early next year and are going to turn the expectation of a valve power amplifier on its head. Super low distortion performance and virtually indestructible.
    Hats off to Radford Revival for continuing the fabulous reputation of Radford with even more improved performance.

A very enjoyable 2 hours were spent in great company, thanks again to Steve and Will for the invitation.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bigman80 Guest

Oooh, nice place to visit. I'll keep that in mind when I'm in Cornwall next

I'm Edward.

Yes Steve and Will are super friendly hosts. I visited a couple of years ago and like you finding the house proved a challenge.

I'm waiting with bated breath on the new amp. Your positive view on it Alan makes me even more impatient.

Nice speakers huh?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Will.

Glad a good time was had by all, it was great to meet you both and nice to put some faces to names. You are welcome any time!

Naively I thought the mono blocs would be ready early this year but it's easy to wildly underestimate these things. They are definitely coming along and as you heard, definitely a working concept
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Is there any idea of cost for this new amp?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Andrew.

I got told £5K a pair when I spoke to will.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ok thanks.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Did no-one get their camera out and take some pics of the gear listened to? Come on, guys, these threads are 'sponsored by Kodak'!

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your get together and reported on it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yeah good point, gerrem up!

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Sorry folks but didn't take any photos of the prototype, don't want to be giving away any clues/secrets to the design.
    Anyway we all know what a well sorted Radford looks like

+ Reply to Thread