+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silver Interconnects

I'm jamie.

my two pennith,
    i spent about 3 months on and off sodding about with various gauges of silver wire,different conductor numbers etc.
    whilst the top end was amazing with great detail i found as bigman said it can sound lean.i then tried a mix of copper and silver conductors and still couldnt find the right sonic blend. i just use now a good occ copper.
    i totally agree on the plugs too,kle are hard to beat for the price,the ones i use have been modded to have solid silver connectors.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    my two pennith,
    i spent about 3 months on and off sodding about with various gauges of silver wire,different conductor numbers etc.
    whilst the top end was amazing with great detail i found as bigman said it can sound lean.i then tried a mix of copper and silver conductors and still couldnt find the right sonic blend. i just use now a good occ copper.
    You're a wise man.

Hibster_2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I did use 9% silver on some WBT plugs for an order. Unfortunately I don't have subjective results as I haven't made any pairs like them again.

The issue with silver solder, especially at 9%, is how much heat you have to use to get a proper, nice connection. Using it with KLE, MS Audios or AECOs will cause a novice to melt the plastic mould of the RCA.

WITH WBT it's not an issue as they are metal construction, however I would never recommend WBT over KLE either.

4% silver solder is on everything I make. I just think it's better sonically than tin/lead stuff. Might be nonsense but that's life lol

In regard to using different metals, well, everything has an effect. I use pure copper cable, silver plated copper RCAs and silver solder. I felt that all silver was too lean. I felt that's silver plated cables were etched and shrill at times, I found that copper cables with silver RCAs were probably ad good, if not a little clearer in the HF than silver-plated copper plugs were.

I've used bare copper plugs, which sounded like old valve amps, I've used gold plated plugs which sounded bereft or 'air' or space.

The right combo can only be found by the experimenter
    Why does silver sound lean, when it has higher conductivity than copper?
    Does copper add a “bass boost” due to it’s lack of conductivity compared to silver?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    Why does silver sound lean, when it has higher conductivity than copper?
    Does copper add a “bass boost” due to it’s lack of conductivity compared to silver?
    I think it's down to resistance of a usually smaller core. As I said, when you get up to 1.5mm conductor for silver, thinks start to get a lot better. I think 2.5mm conductor could be wonderful, but 2 problems,

find some and then afford it.

Also, seems that the larger the conductor gets, the less pure the material becomes. If you then use two runs of 1mm, it's still not as good.

Cables have a lot of variables, I could go on all day about every little thing that affects them but in the end, as I said earlier, only you will know what works for you.

I'm jamie.

the highest i tried was 0.60,1 run for the + and 2 for the -
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Nobody's mentioned it, but may there be the element (!) of different resistances/inductances affecting different parts of the frequency spectrum? If so, this might explain to a certain extent the impressions gained of 'lean', bassy', 'rounded', 'transparent' etc.

The idea of the thicker the core (up to a point?) the better the conductivity holds water for me. I once had pretty long lengths of 2.5mm twin and earth feeding my garden speakers (Rogers LS6A) from my then Naim kit and I was surprised by the openness as I'd suspected a bit of a mismatch or whatever.

I'm Dave.

10hrs on the cable have certainly improved the treble, its no longer like going to the Dentist, lets see what happens in the next 20? Not noticed any loss of bass though.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Alex.

I use two runs (+and-) of .51 mm silver wire with Teflon tubing in a custom configuration with a floating ground connected to the amplifier end and have found them to be excellent in terms of tonal balace in my system.RCA plugs are Switchcraft (used by shindo?).

I'm Mike.

Convoluted theory of value retention re. copper v silver I/Cs.

Copper is cheap as chips compared to silver. Therefore, your cables would retain more of their value because of the discrepancy in metal values.

Another way of putting it would be; c.u. losing money or gaining from ag grow ? Discuss or disregard.

Hibster_2000 Guest

I use this, with Aeco pure silver plugs.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...ect-cable.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast