+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which headshell?

montesquieu Guest

Jelco TK-850S is a really nice arm, I was well impressed when I heard it.

Advice here is all missing the key point, that if you want to minimise re-setting up when you change headshells you should be looking at something that ends up round about the same weight overall as the assembly (cart + headshell) that you are taking off, and also conforms in other ways such as height, adjustment/alignment capability.

The Yamamoto suggested here is a great headshell, I picked up two recently and it's a handy middleweight at 12g. Perhaps worth looking out for the HS-1AS version which has longer slots, to make sure you have sufficient adjustability (I certainly need the full length). I'm also a fan of the AT-LH18 suggested by Barry but be aware it's an 18g headshell so if you have say a 10g cartridge things can get pretty heavyweight! There is a 15g version as well.

If you are regularly setting up cartridges this gizmo is very handy https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNICS-...QAAOSwQGVc9TWs

I'm rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This is all you need: https://www.thakker.eu/en/zubehoer/h...dshell/a-7602/

Has both azimuth and overhang adjustment, with the minimum of mechanical interfaces.

Excellent thanks
    Wasn't aware of that

I'm Blake.

I'm partial to the Yamamoto HS4. Carbon fiber, around 11 grams (so very close to the 12 gram stock Jelco headshell) and a very nice jump up in sonic performance when compared to the Jelcos. The Ebony Yamamoto does look very nice and it's dirt cheap as well all things considered. No experience with that one here though.

I have two HS4's in play.

I'm Simon.

I think I've given up on headshells. Life is so much simpler with an SPU . Literally plug and play. No more overhang worries or azimuth fiddling. Love it!
    Simon.

I'm Clive.

Hi guys, thank you for all your advise.
    In the end I went for a Jelco HS30 headshell for the Hana SL and use the stock HS25 for the AT OC9XSH. The heavier HS30 perfectly compliments the lighter weight of the Hana. I was pleasantly surprised that the cartridge’s once set up in the headshells with the correct null points exactly matched on the front edge.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12