+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazon Loss-less and my Laptop/MDAC

I'm richard.

Default Amazon Loss-less and my Laptop/MDAC

Hi All - after seeing the announcement from Amazon and the thread on it I'm compelled to give it a try. But, need some guidance 1st.....

Currently I stream from Spotify over Bluetooth into a Chromecast connected to an Audiolab MDAC (older version). Works fine and is simple.

I want to use my HP laptop to stream - its running Windows 10 using a SSD. It has one USB 'C' 3.1 ports and 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (Type 2/B I assume). The MDAC has a single USB Type 2.0 port. I'll buy a suitable USB (not 'C') cable to connect both ends correctly.

The MDAC manual talks about Win7 and hopefully much is relevant for Win10, but, before I step into the dark world of streaming, I'd like to hear from anyone that has a working and similar setup to what mine will look like AND others who might have some pearls of wisdom !

As always, my thanks in advance to those who respond.

Cheers Richard

I'm Edward.

I'd suggest just give it a try. Minimal cost for a suitable cable such as this one. But if you rummage around perhaps you already have a cable from a printer which will be just fine.

Just plug it in to your HP computer and the MDAC and see if any sounds come through.

Given that you have Windows 10 (and assuming it is up to date) Windows ought to automatically recognise the MDAC and configure it with a driver.

The only other thing you may have to do is to redirect sound to the MDAC. Just right mouse click the speaker icon in your icon tray (normally bottom right of your screen), open sound settings and choose the MDAC (or whatever Windows has named it) as the Output.

Job done. Well hopefully.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm richard.

Cheers Edward I will give it a go and thanks for spotting a cable though Im not sure spending less than a £100 on a USB cable is a good idea - cue cable wars debate LOL !!!!

I'm Edward.

For now I suggest you get things working and from there think about what enhancements you wish to take. This includes cables but also DACs, software, transports, ethernet and more besides. There is no end to this hobby.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm richard.

Seems the best thing to do so yes I agree.

Actually I had a look at that cable and some others too and the construction seems pretty much the same - QED being a case in point (£20). But no intention of spending real money on a cable.

+ Reply to Thread