Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting an old chum

I'm inactive.

... and swiftly moving on - some pictures:

Wired and ready to go:

The look of it:

Final resting place:

COMING UP NEXT .....
    Final bits and bobs - and - what does it sound like?

I'm James.

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Looks good. A very enjoyable thread.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Fuses in series with the speaker terminals are generally thought not to be a good idea. They can have a detrimental effect on sound quality.

Otherwise a nice, neat and tidy job.
    Last edited by Barry; 13-10-2019 at 11:51. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Fuses in series with the speaker terminals are generall thought not to be a good idea. They can have a detrimental effect on sound quality.

Otherwise a nice, neat and tidy job.
    Thanks Barry .... the fuses are not my idea but recommended in the module specifications, so stay in
    (BTW - this was very much a 'cheap and cheerful' package in its day* - a very long way from 'high end' )

*In fairness to the original designer, the overall sound rivals the output from my Quad 405-2 admirably in many respects (and falls down in others - more later ....)

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Looks good. A very enjoyable thread.

Cheers Andrew .... we aim to please

I'm inactive.

‘Things to do’ include deciding whether to leave the front plate I made plain or black. If plain, it will need a protective coating to deter oxidisation. The blanking grommet above the RCA inputs is there while I muse over fitting a pot or continue using a separate ‘pot in a box’ passive. I like the idea of it being more or less self-contained but the single input leaves it less flexible than external solutions.

I might also upgrade the speaker posts - these were a cheap 10-in-a-pack eBay purchase left over from an earlier project, so just about anything decent could be an improvement … but to be honest, the amp doesn’t have to be the last word in hifi excellence (or even come close) seeing as it’ll be mostly providing background tunes for shed type activities and not even remotely critical listening.

That said, the sound that comes out of this knocked together bag of bits ain’t ‘arf bad ... in fact, not bad at all. I auditioned the ILP concoction through my Quad floor standers in the house and it had no reason at all to feel embarrassed standing next to my 405-2. In fact, it beat the much more prestigious offering in some key areas and showed up some of the weaknesses in Quad’s legacy power amps.

Immediately noticeable was the abundance of bass slam and an overall forward presence that the 405-2 doesn’’t quite muster with the same RPi sourced material (noting that they both share a nominal 500mv input sensitivity). However, what the ILP gives in terms of thrust, it loses when it comes to subtlety; there is depth of tone there in spades and detail is not lacking in any register - but this comes at the cost of a slightly brittle top range that slipped into slight sibilance on some songs. Fine for the shed and some banging tunes while filing a ferrule - not so much for moments of contemplation and cosy coffee that require the euphoric euphonies the Quad does so well.

Anyhow - enough alliteration!! … time to wrap this one up.

Suffice to say, I have managed to salvage some 40 year old scrap and turned it into something that will give me daily pleasure … and thoroughly enjoyed the process

… and of course no thread like this should be brought to a close without a proper ‘before and after’ footnote:

I'm Brian.

Wonderful work Mike , well done . I really enjoyed this thread
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Excellent thread! Now we need another...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Wonderful work Mike , well done . I really enjoyed this thread
    Cheers Brian - very much appreciated

Really glad you enjoyed the read - I enjoyed writing it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast