+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting an old chum

I'm inactive.

Default Resurrecting an old chum

Nothing biblical here chaps ....

Clearing some space in the loft last week and came across a box of old crap I though I'd skipped ages ago ... turns out I'm a worse hoarder than I thought
    Most of it was stuff I'd moved indoors after a garage clear-out some years back and clearly didn't have the heart to consign to the great scrapyard in the sky.

Among the odds and sods was this fine specimen of spaghetti bodging I put together over 40 years ago. At it's core is a bunch of off-the-peg bits and bobs from ILP ... a Kent based company that is apparently still in operation and selling the same HY60 'potted' amp modules on eBay.

Now looking very much the worse for wear, I used this as power amp until it was replaced by a Quad 303 in the mid 90s; initially with the ILP companion preamp and latterly a Quad 33:

Last edited by mikmas; 23-09-2019 at 23:14.

I'm inactive.

My initial thoughts were to do what I should have done back then and take it to the tip with the next consignment of electrical scrap.
    Unfortunately I'm too soft for that and instead opted to give the poor wee thing one last fling.
    I took it out to the garage, wired in a pair of speaks and an RPi ... and switched it on (fire extinguisher in arms reach..)

Surprisingly (considering it's battered condition) it actually sounded quite good and pretty much as I remembered it. Nice punchy bass and plenty of sweet details elsewhere ..... soooo.

Time for a rebuild to bring this little gem back to it's former glory

As I mentioned, the amp is basically a couple of 'potted' amp modules. These are powered by a toroidal (something of a novelty when I first built it) fed through a simply bridge to supply 25v balanced.

... and these are the specs claimed by ILP:

...... to be continued

I'm Chris.

Nice project, one of these looks like worth implementing to replace the ageing capacitors and rectifiers
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Finished...MAAOSwGIBZugAq

I'm James.

Nice little project Mike. I like old Quad stuff having owned and used a fair bit for the last 30 years. I will check in to this post as you work your way through.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

I'm sitting in my comfy chair waiting for the updates. Good luck.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm inactive.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions chaps

I spent some time with a pencil and fag packet and came up with necessary dimensions for a new and slightly more logical/spacious layout.
    A shiny new box is now on order from our friends in the far east and should arrive in time for Xmas

Shiny box link

Yesterday I began dismantling (and de-griming) the components from the decidedly shagged perspex housing - unsurprisingly one of the two caps looked like this:

A clutch of Vishay replacements is on order from CPC and I have also booked a new set of diodes (just in case) ... although the board and connectors look OK despite the ancient crud from the dead cap.

I'm Clive.

I remember ILP. I had one but not the HY60. Probably one of the first chip amps.... sort of anyway.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inactive.

Old case now stripped of bits and heading for bin .... all components cleaned up, boxed and awaiting new casing ... (some will not return)

In the meantime I am playing with possible layouts (using Photoshop)
    ... this is today's preferred model:

I'm inactive.

New caps delivered ...

... and fitted

Also removed the old diodes, reflowed the trafo connections and added a new extension to the ground post.

Hopefully more deliveries later

I'm inactive.

Revised orientation and layout:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast