+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Khozmo pre amp with 200K pot

I'm Mike.

Default Khozmo pre amp with 200K pot

Please remind me of the effect this will have on vinyl replay? Sorry to sound dumb, but I forget! I have seen a Khozmo pre amp with a 200K pot and am interested in trying one again as the last one I had was defective. My phono amp is Graham slee era V.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Somebody please please remind me!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Phil.

I was going to buy it but its 200k its to high man phil.
    Phil.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    I was going to buy it but its 200k its to high man phil.
    So the higher it is the less volume right? Like you'd have to turn it all the way around just to get a decent level?

I'm Geoff.

I have a 250k Alps Blue pot in my passive and it sounds just fine and works fine with the power amps I've tried it with. Volume progression and power amp matching seems no different to my other passive with 50k pot.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    So the higher it is the less volume right? Like you'd have to turn it all the way around just to get a decent level?
    Don't think it quite works like that - at least in my experience playing around with various values (but not up to 200k)

A passive is usually set up as a voltage divider with the wiper changing the ratio between signal feed and ground proportionally - so the relationship will stay pretty much the same regardless of rating.

I may be totally wrong though

I'm Chris.

Actually quite a good description just needing reference also to the output, re worded as
    "a voltage divider with the wiper changing the ratio between signal feed, output and ground proportionally "

A good passive though will establish separate curves for the source to output relationship vs the output to ground relationship
    and better ones still ( eh eh ) will have very little relationship to the potentiometer being used, which suggests as impossible but
    actually quite easy... if you think outside of the square.

I'm Mike.

So if it makes no difference to the volume then what does a jump in value from 50k to 200k actually do?

I'm Chris.

Each audio systems components will be different responding to a 150k change in potentiometer difference, so whilst one forum member finds little difference
    the next may find quite a difference. This is reflected in source impedance and amplifier sensitivity and amplifier fixed resistance loading.

As a general rule with passives try to keep the resistance from source to output at a maximum of 15k and from output to ground slightly lower. As advised
    the best passives do not fall into being equal voltage dividers. Mary Hallock Greenwalts 1919 invention of the rheostat sadly has been too widely adopted at the expense
    of much more exciting ways of doing passive attenuation.

+ Reply to Thread