+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: WTD maybe: best of all worlds pre amp

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    I replaced an 868PL with Tom’s 912 and can confirm that the line stages do indeed sound very different. I was quite taken aback, having ingested the “essentially the same circuitry” line. I’m not really qualified to say if it is or is not physically, but the 912 sounds significantly better.

There is a chance that Tom had installed better SQ valves, but the valve type/brand was the same and I would not expect the difference to be so pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did quite a bit of experimenting with various PCC88s ... most interesting were some NOS diamond-base Telefunkens, if using them in all five positions I thought the sound was a bit thin (phono anyway), but used in the line stage only, plus one in the middle position of the three tubes in the phono stage, produced just the right balance, really quite lifted the overall performance especially the line stage. I think that's what was in when it shipped to you, Kim.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    I replaced an 868PL with Tom’s 912 and can confirm that the line stages do indeed sound very different. I was quite taken aback, having ingested the “essentially the same circuitry” line. I’m not really qualified to say if it is or is not physically, but the 912 sounds significantly better.

There is a chance that Tom had installed better SQ valves, but the valve type/brand was the same and I would not expect the difference to be so pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glad you're happy with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456